Can I recycle water after water changes?

elisa001
Hi everyone, so long story short I have a 55 gallon tank in the basement that I am trying to figure out how to do 50% weekly water changes on. The nearest sink is up 2 flights of stairs so my python syphon will not work, and I was thinking of buying a pump but I am not sure how many gph I need as the closest exit is 50 feet away with a 5ft lift. I am not sure if I can get access to my basement drain as my basement is carpeted and my landlord doesn't want me tearing up the place.

I am considering just getting a 55 gallon drum next to my tank, so I can empty 25 gallons of water into it every week. After 2 weeks I would need to either empty out the drum or I am looking into ways to recycle the water so I can put it back into my tank. How would I go about recycling water? How would I remove the nitrates from the used fish water? Does anyone have any better ideas as to how I can do large water changes that doesn't consist of me carrying buckets up stairs?

Betta'sAnonymous
Maybe a trash can on wheels then wheel the old water to the basement drain?

StarGirl
elisa001 said:
Hi everyone, so long story short I have a 55 gallon tank in the basement that I am trying to figure out how to do 50% weekly water changes on. The nearest sink is up 2 flights of stairs so my python syphon will not work, and I was thinking of buying a pump but I am not sure how many gph I need as the closest exit is 50 feet away with a 5ft lift. I am not sure if I can get access to my basement drain as my basement is carpeted and my landlord doesn't want me tearing up the place.

I am considering just getting a 55 gallon drum next to my tank, so I can empty 25 gallons of water into it every week. After 2 weeks I would need to either empty out the drum or I am looking into ways to recycle the water so I can put it back into my tank. How would I go about recycling water? How would I remove the nitrates from the used fish water? Does anyone have any better ideas as to how I can do large water changes that doesn't consist of me carrying buckets up stairs?
You still need the minerals from the fresh water it wouldn't be a good idea to recycle water.

SouthAmericanCichlids
I would say a pump is the best option. I know of like a 15-20 dollar pump, it pumps I forget how many but it pumps all the way across my 4 ft. tank goes down and stirs my sand up, I can't use it, except for water changes, and that's on the lowest setting. To remove nitrates is one thing, but there are so many other minerals and micronutrients in the water that your fish need. But there might be a way of adding like minerals to remineralize the water. For nitrates live plants would work, and there are some bacteria that slowly convert nitrates to nitrogen, and in the aquarium don't really have their efforts shown, but without new nitrates coming in it would eventually get rid of all nitrates, but the time I do not know, you could test it out.

coastalcoyote
I hear plants love recycled tank water. I use one of the long hose syphon things to get my water from the tank to the grass outside. The grass and weeds love me now, I think. Is there a window in your basement? Would the hose reach outside, instead of to a sink or drain? (I've only been in two basements, and both had the windows. Sorry if that isn't a normal feature!!)

RayClem
There are ways you can reuse the water you remove from the aquarium, but returning it to your aquarium is not an acceptable method of reuse. That defeats the entire purpose of water changes. The water you remove has a variety of organic and inorganic contaminants that you are trying to remove from the aquarium and replace with fresh water.

As coastalcoyote indicated, it is great for fertilizing grass, flowers, etc. However, I would be hesitant to use the water on herbs or vegetables intended for human consumption.

Top Bottom