Can I re-freeze bloodworms after thawing?

MsMarvel

I have 14 ember tetras and I feed them a small amount of food three times a day. Today I finally went and defrosted some blood worms for them. They didn't need a full cube so I cut part of the cube, thawed it in some tank water for 10 minutes and then fed the worms to my excited tetras for the last meal of the day. Having gone through the process now, it would definitely be easier if I could just thaw a whole cube and then leave whatever thawed bloodworms I don't use in a container in my freezer. However, I am unsure if this would be safe for my fish so I wanted to get some input before trying this. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rye3434

This is not a good idea

refreezing thawed things in general is a good way to spread bacteria

MsMarvel

This is not a good idea

refreezing thawed things in general is a good way to spread bacteria
Ya, that's what I was concerned about. Thank you for verifying that for me.

KingOscar

One entire cube is too much for my fish too, and I'm not going to over feed them or waste food. Here's what I've been doing and it's been working well:

I actively mix the cube around in a cup of water with a spoon while watching carefully. This quickly melts off some worms from the exterior while leaving the core frozen. As soon as it appears I have enough worms floating around I yank the cube out with the spoon (tipping it along the inside wall of the cup to pour off as much water as possible) and then immediately put it in a small container and return it to the freezer.

The interior of the cube remains frozen, and the few worms on the outer edges of the cube that did thaw were refrozen in a minute or two.

Lucy

Going forward, you can use a razor blade to shave off just enough to feed and return the still frozen cube to the freezer.
You can also leave thawed blood worms in the fridge for a couple days

Marlene327

Going forward, you can use a razor blade to shave off just enough to feed and return the still frozen cube to the freezer.
I've put them in the fridge like that, glad to see it's okay to do.

"Official Spam Kicker" - love it!! I bet you get a ton!

applejax

Pretty much what I do. Slice off a sliver and put it in a brulee cup of tank water so it separates, defrosts, and waterlogs them. Pour across tank. Well, open the lid first. Then pour. Then close lid. Or don't.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Grammywms
Replies
Views
octopanda
  • Poll
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies