Can I put unprimed water into a primed aquarium?

Shadestream

I'm not really sure how to word this, but I have have a 5 gallon tank and just did a water change not knowing I'm all out of prime. I can go get some but it will take a while and I feel bad for my fish. I have a betta and a nerite snail in the tank right now and I'm concerned about stressing the betta because compared to other fish I had, he gets very stressed in a low water level. Even though the snail can climb out of the water at any time now I'm not too worried because he just had a meal and tends to stay in his cave for the rest of the day after eating some algae wafer. Back to the point, I have my bucket filled up with unprimed water and I'm wondering if it's safe to put it into the tank unprimed for an hour or so. Does anyone know if this will harm my fish? I also have my heater off because it is currently half above water level

Frank the Fish guy

Prime is just a dechlorinator. If you have chlorine in your tap water, then you need to remove it or it will harm your fish. You can either use a dechlorinator, or you can just aerate the water in buckets for 24 hours. Aeration is the best practice since it also adds oxygen to the water. Aeration removes the chlorine naturally.

So just aerate your water for a day and it will be great for your fish.

Fishnturtleguy933

Tap water usually contains chlorine which can and will kill your fish. If chlorine isn't used to treat your tap(if you live in a city or suburb it probably is) then you should be okay so long as other harsh minerals and chemicals aren't present but for most people, it's best to use the conditioner.

KatHasAFish

I’ll head over with some prime, no worries :)

Shadestream

thank you, my friend is able to let me use sone of her prime but it might be a while. I'm just hoping my fish won't get too stressed. He always acts traumatized when I change the tank water. The first time I changed it he even tore a little piece of his fin. Now he just lays at the bottom of the tank and isn't very active (which isn't like him) and perks up again once the water level is back to normal. It breaks my heart to see him like this and I'm just hoping he won't get too stressed in the meantime. I can boil catappa leaves for him if that will help, but I'm not sure how much that will do.
I’ll head over with some prime, no worries :)
Your a lifesaver <333

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Silverleaf209
Replies
Views
el337
Replies
Views
Compatability
Replies