Can I Put Shrimp In My Fry Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Thatgirlinblack, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Thatgirlinblack

ThatgirlinblackValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    To preface this, I want to say that my fry tank is very small, it's only about 6l. Its not even there to grow the fish up completely, I have a spare fish tank currently being lived in for my larger fry. My fry are swordtails babies, so they're larger at birth than other fish. The tank has an undergravel filter, so shrimp won't be sucked into anything
    Can I put some shrimp in this small tank to clean up some of the uneaten food and algae? Would they attack my fry? Would my fry attack them? What species should I look into getting, if any?

2. JtheFishMan

JtheFishManValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +150
    Experience:
    1 year
    Some shrimp in the fry tank would be a great addition. I had some cherry shrimps and blue velvet shrimps with my guppy fry, and I've never had any problems with them. They wouldn't attack the fry, the fry might get curious and touch the shrimp, and the shrimp's reflex is to dart backwards, but they wouldn't try to injure them. I recommend cherry shrimp or blue velvet shrimp.

3. OP
    OP
    Thatgirlinblack

Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks! How big is your tank for your fry though? Mine is a lot smaller than what most people have set up for fry, which works for me because I only hold them there for a couple of months or so, but I was also wondering if the small space might make one side more aggressive? Or at the very least make it easy for any slightly more aggressive individuals to catch and hunt the little ones? I'm just trying to get all the answers, so I don't risk making either some fry or some shrimp unhappy. I think I know where I can get cherry shrimp, so I might look into them more, I don't think I've seen blue velvet around. How many would you recommend for my little 5-6l tank?

4. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You may have issues with the fry attacking baby shrimp, depending on the size of the fry. I had a molly in my shrimp tank who i thought was way too small to eat baby shrimp. I was wrong.

5. OP
    OP
    Thatgirlinblack

Ratings:
    +18
    New update! I've found some cherry shrimp, they were 6 for $20 aud, so we bought 6. 2 are in the little fry tank I described to you guys earlier, the other 4 are currently in with the white clouds. If all goes well, there might be more moved in with the fry. However, one of the shrimp put in with the fry is a female, carrying eggs. These eggs seem to be well along, as I managed to see tiny eyes in them! She's currently hiding between two leaves on a fake silk plant, and will only come out if we turn the light out. Is this normal behaviour for a pregnant/fertilised shrimp such as herself? How should I care for the little shrimplings if they hatch?

6. JtheFishMan

Ratings:
    +150
    Experience:
    1 year
    This is normal behavior of pregnant shrimp. To make easy care of shrimp fry, you can get plenty of Java Moss, so you won’t really have to focus on feeding them. They eat off the Moss, and you can occasionally drop some sinking pellets for them to feed off.

7. OP
    OP
    Thatgirlinblack

Ratings:
    +18
    I'll see if I can get some java moss soon. If not, would they be ok eating the fish food I give to my fry? It's just tropical flakes that I grind between my fingers for their little mouths. Glad to hear this is normal for a pregnant shrimp, I've never kept them before, haha.

8. OP
    OP
    Thatgirlinblack

Ratings:
    +18
    This is where she's put herself too, right in between two leaves so she's hard to see. Probably the point of hiding, haha. IMG_20190119_154044689.

9. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Congratulations! Powder food is best for shrimplets. They hardly move their first week of life, so it’s best for them to not have to travel to get food. It doesn’t seem like much distance, but they are tiny!

10. JtheFishMan

Ratings:
    +150
    Experience:
    1 year
    When I used my sinking pellets, I usually dropped twice or three times as much as I usually do so the shrimp fry don't have to travel very far. I bought my java moss from Amazon, by the way.

11. OP
    OP
    Thatgirlinblack

Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for everyone's advice! I'll definitely do my best. :)