can i put rosy barbs with neon tetras, cherry barbs, and a rainbow shark?

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tony said:
i have 3 neon tetras, 2 cherry barbs, a sucker fish, and a rainbow shark. i want to know if i can put rosy barbs with these fish and if not what kind of fish would do well with the fish i already have.
I think the rosy barbs should be alright with those fish.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
how is your rainbow shark with the tetras? and can you keep posted on how he acts with the new barb. i want to get one but am curious to how the RTS will act towards the others.

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my rainbow shark seems to be fine with my tetras, he is shy

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big is your tank?  Remember 1" of adult fish per gallon.  Also those tetras would be more happy in a school of 6 or more so I would add more tetras instead of another fish. In fact barbs need to school as well!

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my tank is 30 gallons

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, depending on what kind of sucker fish you have, you may not be able to put anything else in. The common Pleco gets to be 18-20 inches and they grow pretty fast. He may only be 2 inches today but he will grow big and fast. If you have an otto then you have room, although I don't know how big the shark gets either. Like I said earlier, I would put more of the same kind of fish in, because they need to have schools of 6 or more.

Do some research on the sucker and the shark. Find out what sucker fish you have. Then find out how big each fish gets, if you have more inches than gallons then you are overstocked.

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i just looked up what kind of sucker fish i have, i think its a pleco, but i also have a 100 gallon tank with 6 goldfish and a small turtle that i can put him in if he gets too big. and for the shark, he wont get bigger than 6 inches. i am also planning on getting 1 or 2 more cherry barbs in, as well as 4 or 5 neon tetras (and maybe tiger barbs) next time i run into town.

p.s. do you think tiger barbs would be ok with my current fish?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tiger barbs could be fin-nippers & aggressive (more than the rosy barbs) to the tetras and shark when you have less than 6 of them.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i'd be careful about the turtle tank. any fish you put in there has a decent chance at becoming food.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a word about the goldfish tank. goldfish are cool water fish and need temps from about 65-70F. Plecos need warmer water, usually 75-80F.
carol

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you, but i don't have a choice i only have a 30 gallon and a 100g, and i bought the goldfish not knowing that they would get to be 6 inches, so i moved them to my 100g tank that is on my porch, and that is where i have to put my pleco. The big problem is that i live in Florida, so obviously, it gets extremely hot outside (about 95+ degrees F on an average summer day and 70-80 in the winter) but they are in the shade of my porch which will only get to maybe 70-75, i feel bad keeping them out there, but they can't go anywhere else, except in the neighbors pond where they would be eaten by the bass.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tony said:
Thank you, but i don't have a choice i only have a 30 gallon and a 100g, and i bought the goldfish not knowing that they would get to be 6 inches, so i moved them to my 100g tank that is on my porch, and that is where i have to put my pleco. The big problem is that i live in Florida, so obviously, it gets extremely hot outside (about 95+ degrees F on an average summer day and 70-80 in the winter) but they are in the shade of my porch which will only get to maybe 70-75, i feel bad keeping them out there, but they can't go anywhere else, except in the neighbors pond where they would be eaten by the bass.
yea, we're floridians and hear your dilemma.. if only those chiller units weren't so expensive. any fans for it?

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The gold fish should be able to live in the big tank. The bigger water mass would mean a lower temp swing do you know the difference in water temp at noon as opposed to nine in the morning? How long has the pleco been in there?

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i just put the pleco in today (may 7)

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How cold does it get in the late evening?

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In late evening it may get down to about 75-80 degrees F, but probably more 75 than 80. Florida known to be very hot because of the humidity more than anything else, and obviously humidity is not a factor underwater, but it is still hot.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tony said:
In late evening it may get down to about 75-80 degrees F, but probably more 75 than 80. Florida known to be very hot because of the humidity more than anything else, and obviously humidity is not a factor underwater, but it is still hot.
yea, we don't have a big cooling off at night here. (at times that's nice and at times you'd LOVE a real cool night after a sweltering hot day)

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
come to alberta in february i'll show you a cool night! lol
mojo

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mojoman101 said:
come to alberta in february i'll show you a cool night! lol
mojo
lol.. i appreciate the offer to generously share some of your cold weather, but i think i'll pass for now.. i'd like to keep all 13 toes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom