Can I Put Perrier Bottled Mineral Water Into My Aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I noticed that the TDS level in my supply water is 125 ppm and my LFS have their fish in water that is 445 ppm. I read somewhere that TDS may indicate the amount of minerals like magnesium and calcium that might be missing in my supply water. Over the weekend I bought some Otto Ciclads and usually I lose a couple during the transfer to my tank. This time, I used the drip system and took 2 hours to change their water to our water and they are ALL alive so far. I used to use the 15 minute leave bag in aquarium method before but I think I'll take my time (2-1/2 hours) to transfer any new livestock for now on. But I digress, my question is, if all other parameters match my LFS except the TDS, should or CAN I use Perrier Mineral water to boost my TDS levels up to be closer to my LFS? (Oh, I'm sure they DON'T use Perrier Mountain Spring water for sure!)
20180220_075223[70].jpg

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
depends on the tds of the bottled water. High tds isnt necessarily a good thing. I notice as my tds rise my dissolved oxygen goes down.

OP
Victor Noda

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
depends on the tds of the bottled water. High tds isnt necessarily a good thing. I notice as my tds rise my dissolved oxygen goes down.
Ahhh...I didn't think about that! I notice that my plants are doing fabulously...but my fish...well, they look a little pale, and they seem to be 'resting' a lot and gasping for breathe?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only found that out seeing how far i can stretch out water changes. Tds can be high from either just topping the water off and not actually changing it (i fall into this category) or high in the supply water.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
@Victor Noda I wouldn't really worry about your TDS unless you're trying to keep shrimp. As long as you acclimate your fish correctly there shouldn't be any issues.

Otocinclus will often rest on leaves, holding them with their pelvic fins. If they appear to be distressed, can you share your water parameters? How old is your tank?

matt123

Valued Member
Reaction score
in my opinion, TDS isn't important unless it is a) really high (near saturated water) or really low (near distilled water). Or b) you have really sensitive animals
GH/KH are the solute measurements you want to pay attention to.
TDS is simply too broad. those solutes could be anything.
Whereas GH is ca++/mg++ (and other divalent ions) and Kh is CO3--. These ions are important and have an effect on the water chemistry.
GH isn't that great either because it won't tell you how much of that hardness is ca, and how much is mg, and how much is others.
My way of combating this is simple, take a look at the mineral deposits that build up on my faucets, white deposits are calcium, brown are magnesium, green is from copper pipe corrosion, it is a compound called cupric chloride (CuCl2), there are many others. In my case I see a lot of white calcium, a little bit of brown magnesium, and I see green on my shower heads sometimes.

Besides, bottled water is expensive, why create a system where a water change becomes frequent trips to the store and increases expenses.

lastly, not sure how the carbonation and probably added sugar would have an effect on water chemistry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom