Can I put otocinclus in a 15 gallon Iwagumi set up?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Hi everyone. I'm in the planning part of setting up a 15 gallon iwagumi tank. I thought of having ember tetras, amano shrimp and a few otos. Can I even put kotos in a 15 gallon that doesn't have a lot of plants in it? would amaro shrimp be a lot better? Thanks

airfix2

otos could definitely work. just make sure to get at least 3 because I have heard that they are social. Basically they are like algea eating neon tetras.

e_watson09

Otos are not a good idea in a tank that size. They need to be in large groups (10+) and there is NOT enough algae in a tank that size to support a group of them and most otos will not accept commercially prepared diets.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Otos are not a good idea in a tank that size. They need to be in large groups (10+) and there is NOT enough algae in a tank that size to support a group of them and most otos will not accept commercially prepared diets.
ok. What kind of algae eater would you guys say works best for such a tank?

e_watson09

ok. What kind of algae eater would you guys say works best for such a tank?
I'd stick with snails and shrimp. All of the algae eaters really need bigger tanks. Nerite snails do a good job cleaning glass

kansas

Amono shrimp are good at eating algae..

PlantedCommunityTank132

how many would you guys put in the tank if I put 10 ember tetras in there?

kansas

I put 5 in a heavily planted 15. It's best to wait a couple months so they have plenty to eat.

Linda1234

Shrimps are good; also guppies are very good; american flag fishes are also good algae eaters - but might be pushing what you want to put in a 15 gallon esp if you have other stocking.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I put 5 in a heavily planted 15. It's best to wait a couple months so they have plenty to eat.
ok
Shrimps are good; also guppies are very good; american flag fishes are also good algae eaters - but might be pushing what you want to put in a 15 gallon esp if you have other stocking.
guppies are algae eaters?

Linda1234

Most live bearers will willing eat algae if they are hungry. Swordtails are better but 15 is too small for swordtails. Also the american flag fish is pretty small - around 2 inches so you might find them interesting.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Most live bearers will willing eat algae if they are hungry. Swordtails are better but 15 is too small for swordtails. Also the american flag fish is pretty small - around 2 inches so you might find them interesting.
I don't really want a fish that is very big. Would 12 ember tetras and 5 amanos work?

Fishyfishyfishman

I would probably stick to just shrimp in an iwagumi perhaps. As someone else said what fish would be happy in a tank with very little cover?

PlantedCommunityTank132

I would probably stick to just shrimp in an iwagumi perhaps. As someone else said what fish would be happy in a tank with very little cover?
So, I should do a shrimp only tank?

Fishyfishyfishman

I don’t know for sure. IDK what fish could be good with the lack of cover. Maybe like FlyFisha said endlers?

StarGirl

I agree Embers like cover and would constantly be trying to hide. They wouldnt be comfortable at all. Endlers sound like a better choice. Amanos get pretty big so I would say no to 5. I would say 2 or 3 max.

ruud

A low tech iwagumi with one or several moss species as carpet with patches of buces also on the rocks would require minimal light, no CO2 and increase your options with fish. Ember tetras would be an option, although I favor asian species with buces myself.

For high tech, bright lights and CO2, I would not recommend fish.

In both cases, I would not recommend amano. If only because of odd looking proportions of a 15 Gallon Iwagumi with large invertebrates. Neocaridina shrimp are the way to go.

StarGirl

A low tech iwagumi with one or several moss species as carpet with patches of buces also on the rocks would require minimal light, no CO2 and increase your options with fish. Ember tetras would be an option, although I favor asian species with buces myself.

For high tech, bright lights and CO2, I would not recommend fish.

In both cases, I would not recommend amano. If only because of odd looking proportions of a 15 Gallon Iwagumi with large invertebrates. Neocaridina shrimp are the way to go.
That is true they would look like dinosaurs walking around the tank....lol

Fishyfishyfishman

Getting on a photo editing app right now…

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CanadianJoeh
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
JennCav
  • Question
Replies