Can I put my pregnant Molly inside a breeding net?

1. minitaco81608 Initiate Member

Well, I have just got my molly fish about two days ago. I have a 5 gal. tank with 3 males [2x guppy 1x molly] and a bottomfeeder. She is pregnant; you can see the dark gravid spot. When I brought my Molly home, I put her in the tank with the other fish but they were attempting to court her! I've been researching on the internet about how to take care of pregnant mollies and guppies and such. I have came out ith information that tells me that it can be harmful to the pregnant fish if she is in a small space (info recieved from http://www.guppies.com/ when I was researching on the guppies) in which this could happen "Premature conception – Your fry will be born with their yolk sack very visible and will look weak and fewer will survive – you may also see slower growth." I'm stressing!! Someone give me some logical, researched advice quickly before something bad happens to my molly please!

2. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

:;fb welcome to fishlore minitaco :)

Right now, I think baby fish should be the last of your worries at the moment. Your fish tank is overstocked and this is very stressful to your fish.

Before at all considering raising baby fish, you will want to upgrade to a large fish tank. looking at your current stock, you need at least 29 gallons. Also, i'm unsure of what kind of fish your "bottomfeeder" is. I'm thinking a plecostomus (a suckermouth), a corydoras catfish, or a chinese algae eater.., do you know?

we can identify it with a picture if you don't know...

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Mini and Welcome to Fish Lore. The gestation period for most live bearers is 20 days but can range from 28 to 40 days. Putting your Molly into a breeder net too soon can cause problems with the fish, stress, holding the fry. When she's ready she will look really square and huge and may try to find a spot by herself to give birth.

As suggested above a larger tank (if it's within your means) would be a great idea. Do you have plans for the fry?

Hope you enjoy the site. Lots of great information and friendly people here.
    Best of luck with your fish and tank!
    Ken