Can I Put My Betta In With My Tetras & Tiger Barbs?

1. D

DavidaCannan New Member Member

I own two tanks…
    …a 2.5 gallon which currently houses my Half Moon Betta (i think female) and a Mystery Snale.

And a 10 gallon tank which has 3 Tiger Barbs, 4 Neon Tetras, 3 Golden Otocinclus, and a Mystery Snale…
    Including: heater, and bubbling rod w/ air pump.

I've heard different answers from different people. An employee at PetsMart told me that Bettas can live along side other fish as long as there isn't another Betta in the tank.
    I really am optimistic that I would be able to put my Betta into my 10 gallon tank.

I set up my 10 gallon tank just two weeks ago, it has all live plants. I'm sure that my Betta would love the extra room to swim around in…

In addition to the question above, can somebody tell me if my Betta is a male or female?

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

This is a male (quite sure). There are a few reasons why I wouldn't put it in the ten... first being it's a male, second, the tank is already overstocked and third, the tiger barbs can be nippy and so can the tetras depending on their type

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You shouldn't. The 10 gallon has many stocking problems first of all. Tiger barbs, Otos and Neons require at least 20 gallons. Tiger barbs, Otos and Neons are also schooling fish and need to be in schools of at least 6. The bettas gender doesn't really matter in this situation because they would still be aggressive, and its a male. The tiger barbs will also nip the betta.

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Your betta would love to be in a ten gallon tank, but not one that is already overstocked with fish that belong in a 20 to 29 gallon tank or better.

My advice would be to upgrade everybody. You will also be advised that tiger barbs belong in species only tanks and in numbers greater than 6. They can be agressive fish, especially when establishing their internal pecking order.

Ottos should also be kept in groups of six or more. Don't forget to supplement their diet with vegetables or a food especially formulated for vegetarian fish, they will starve otherwise

Neons also need to be in a group of six or more.

Please consider getting a 40 gallon breeder or returning the barbs and getting a 20 gallon tank for your upgraded schools.

Please. Please do your own research before going to the pet store. Unfortunately the sales associates are there to move products, and can be woefully uniformed about appropriate stocking.

Everyone gets stocking wrong at first, so don't feel bad. Just keep asking questions .

5. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

It is a male.

It would lose the fins in seconds with the tiger barbs around.

Your 10 gal will run into problems pretty soon.
    Tiger barbs are very nippy fish and need to be kept in bigger groups in larger tanks. Neons are schooling fish and would like more company. It is debatable if neons should be kept in a 10 gal. Besides, they prefer cooler temperatures than bettas.

Otocinclus like more company as well and usually don't do well in new tanks. I hope they won't starve.

Did I read that right that you don't have a filter in the 10 gal tank?

Please read up on your fish's requirements, are a good source to start with.
    Also, please take action that the otos won't starve. You can grow algae on rocks in a water container on a sunny window sill, add zucchini slices and check for further options.

Welcome to the forum, glad you found your way here!

Oops, Maggie was faster :)

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Neons also need cooler water than bettas