Can I Put More Plants In My Tank Without Messing Up Water Quality?

Sam44

I set up the tank a few days ago, adjusted the water to have correct Ph and whatnot, added the fish, but now I’m thinking I want to add more live plants and maybe move some decorations around. I would wait until doing my first water change to add anything in, just so I don’t have to stick my whole arm all the way into the tank. (10 gallon). I read that you should avoid putting hands in the water so you don’t mess with ph and nitrates, nitrites, etc., so if I wait til the water level is lower during a water change, will me adding stuff/moving stuff drastically change the water? Should I take the fish out to do this?

Advertisement

Advertisement
as long as you wash your hands before putting them into the tank there should be no problems, I put my hands in my tank all the time without it hurting my tank. you fish can stay in the tank as it won't hurt them just keep an eye on them while your putting the plants in.

Just wash and rinse your hands and arms real goo before you stick them in the tank. I have mine in almost daily to do something, the fish have gotten use to it. Plants won't hurt your cycling at all.

No need to worry about having hands in the tank, I've had to stick my entire arm in my tank during rescapes, it doesn't affect pH, ammonia, nitrite etc.
However, I do strongly recommend you stop using the pH adjustors. Unless your tap is 8.5 or higher, or 6.5 or lower, just about anything can adapt to it. The pH adjustors cause massive pH swings that can seriously harm fish.

Thanks for all the quick replies! My tap ph was reading at about 6.5 so I raised it to 7.2 before putting my fish in. I’ve been testing the water once a day since putting my fish in just to make sure everything still reads fine while it goes through the cycle.

Advertisement
Thanks for all the quick replies! My tap ph was reading at about 6.5 so I raised it to 7.2 before putting my fish in. I’ve been testing the water once a day since putting my fish in just to make sure everything still reads fine while it goes through the cycle.
What kind of fish do you plan on getting? Mines 6.6-6.8, and everything's fine.

almost all fish can easily adjust to most ph levels as long as you accumulate them properly. I find it a bit of a pain to always have to check the ph level just to make sure its at the right level when using the adjusters and they can cause ph swings which is more dangerous then lower or higher ph is. although as long as you are careful then its fine

The best way is to add either cuttlebone, seashells, or crushed coral. Personally I use seashells, they last a long time before entirely dissolving, theyre $2 at petsmart for about eight or ten. and two of them bumped up the pH of my 60 to around 7.4. I've had them in for several months, and they're still going. It's a slow change as well, so it won't shock your fish.
That being said it's likely not necessary, though my pH has crashed several times, but that's just because my kH is 0. You likely won't need to test kH, but if you notice your pH suddenly reading at 6.0, just throw in a seashell.

What kind of fish do you plan on getting? Mines 6.6-6.8, and everything's fine.
I have 2 mollies and a dwarf gourami right now. All the research I’ve done so far says they do best in ph of 6.5-7.5, so I raised it a little just to be on the safe side in case of a ph drop

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cassdaddy
Replies
Views
RockinRy
  • Question
Replies
Views
UnknownUser