Question Can I Put Fish And Frogs In A Self Sustaining Vivarium?/aquarium Ideas

Nelly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone! I’m thinking of starting a Vivarium and I was wondering whether I would be able to put some kind of fish in the water sector of the tank and a species of dart frog on the land sector.

The reason I’m wondering this is that my family and I are buying a cafe and I want to put in some kind of unique aquarium that can be mostly self sustaining. Because I won’t be there all the time it would be harder to do regular water changes and feedings unlike with my tanks at home. If you have any ideas please feel free to let me know.

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've kept an old 55 with a waterfall and circulation pump on the bottom half and the top all vegetation it was all fake stuff but eventually we shut it down to use the tank for a snake. It had guppies and fire belly toads. They seemed alright I didn't notice ick and they didn't die. I just rehomed them. I don't have any experience with dart frogs although I assume they spend most of their time either on the leaves or directly on the floor of the terrarium it would just depend on the species. They require a heavily planted set up with constant high humidity the ones at our local zoo have and entire ecosystem in their set up with a central water puddle in a thickly planted tank and coco fiber substrate. I'll post a link to a guy whose built tons of awesome vivariums paludariums and a quari ums. His YouTube channel is under serpadesign

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I was researching a similar setup it was mentioned that dart frogs can drown if they end up in the water as they are poor swimmers. I ended up going with firebelly toads who spend as much time in the water as on land.

I keep mine with zebra danios, cherry shrimp and ramshorn snails in a 65 gallon tank that holds roughly 20 gallons of water. I use a turtle dock and a planted acrylic magazine holder for dry areas. They seem to enjoy it.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone! I’m thinking of starting a Vivarium and I was wondering whether I would be able to put some kind of fish in the water sector of the tank and a species of dart frog on the land sector.

The reason I’m wondering this is that my family and I are buying a cafe and I want to put in some kind of unique aquarium that can be mostly self sustaining. Because I won’t be there all the time it would be harder to do regular water changes and feedings unlike with my tanks at home. If you have any ideas please feel free to let me know.
Hello Nell...

It's entirely possible if you can find a means of keeping the nitrogen out of the tank water. Nitrogen from the dissolving waste from the tank inhabitants can build up and is toxic. You can immerse the roots of the Chinese Evergreen house plant in the water and it will remove all the nitrogen and you'll just need to replace the water that's lost to evaporation with distilled water. Maintenance is really minimal and you'll have made a real conversation piece for your place.

Old

Nelly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for all of your help but unfortunately fire bellied roads are illegal here in Australia. Are there any other kinds of toads/frogs that would work with this setup.

Nelly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would I be able to put green tree frogs in the setup described

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most tree frogs will have the same issue. Do you have a water frog that is local? I also keep a local frog in a 10 gallon terrarium with a 1.5 gallon filtered mini-aquarium embedded in it. It's not as flash as the 65 gallon setup, but it could be if I had the space.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom