Can I Put Cichlids In My Tank

teakwandolover234

how many cichlids can I put in a 10 gal tak if any at all

Hommicidalclownfish

You can definitely do it as long as you get them small, but just remember they will outgrow the tank and will all have to be moved into a bigger tank sooner than later. I personally wouldn’t put more than 4 if I was going to attempt it. But if you can do it, I would just go for the bigger tank now because you will want to upgrade, and probably way before those fish outgrow the tank. It’s be better to get it out of the way now and you’ll be able to do a lot more. But if you aren’t able to I know exactly how you feel, I’ve been there too many times.

Seasoldier

There are at least 1,650 scientifically identified species of Cichlid, what type were you thinking of?

Hommicidalclownfish

If you didn’t have any specific in mind, IMO I think rams might be a good idea to try

2211Nighthawk

Hommicidalclownfish

Those would be good too, but if you get the rams small enough you could do it for a little while and then like I said you’d have to upgrade anyway as with just about all other cichlid species

2211Nighthawk

Hommicidalclownfish said:
Those would be good too, but if you get the rams small enough you could do it for a little while and then like I said you’d have to upgrade anyway as with just about all other cichlid species
Don’t advice buying fish that you know won’t work long term. To many times people buy fish with the intent of upgrading and it never happens because stuff comes up.

Hommicidalclownfish

I’ve never had that problem, And most equipment that’s used on a 10 gallon can be used on a 20 gallon which you can go to petco and get for 20 bucks when they have that sale twice a year. I’m sure they won’t outgrow the tank in less than six months. And I’ve used a smaller tank as a grow tank while I was cycling the tank that was going up for them to stay in, because I already had the smaller tank up and cycled from other fish.

Achilles

I'd highly recommend shell dwellers for your 10g. I have neolamprologous multifasciatus in my 10 gallon and they're doing great. They're super easy to come by and aren't that hard to care for. Super interesting fish to watch, too!

Seasoldier

You could do a really interesting Lake Tanganyika biotope with neolamprologous multifasciatus or neolamprologus similis or lamprologus stappersi

teakwandolover234

I was thinking ome small afrcan chilids

Seasoldier

teakwandolover234 said:
I was thinking ome small afrcan chilids
That would work really well, I'd go with what Nighthawk & Achilles are suggesting for a smallish tank shell dwellers would be the ones to go with, they're good looking fish & are really interesting.

teakwandolover234

ok thanks!

cichlid4life

shell dwellers breed very easily and breed a lot!!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom