Can I put bamboo shrimp and bristlenose pleco in an un-cycled "quarantine" tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Melissa K Lovallo, Jul 29, 2015.

1. M

Melissa K Lovallo New Member Member

Can I put bamboo shrimp and bristlenose pleco in an un-cycled "quarantine" tank while I treat my 10 gal for Ich? Am I ok to put some of the plants and water in that tank with them so they aren't so "shocked" by such different levels, etc?? Or would that totally defeat the purpose of treating the Ich tank and keeping them quarantined?? I do have some Quick Start I can put in along with the Stress Coat... but can I add that to the water I am putting these guys in, or is that only going to mess up the nitrite/nitrate levels and stress them out even more? I've always kinda been confused by those start solutions. :/

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Why would you take them out of your tank with ich? The ich might spread to your QT also. Just turn up the heater slowly to 86 for a few days in your main tank and the ich should go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Well I did see your other long post, my thoughts are the bamboo shrimp wont get ick, but shrimp are uber sensitive to a lot of ick /copper based treatments so perhaps he should be removed from the ick infested tank.If you transfer any thing from the infested tank you are at risk for transferring the tiny ick parasite too. Read up on the ick life cycle for a better idea of how to proceed and how to prevent future outbreaks. good luck.

4. OP
    OP
    M

Melissa K Lovallo New Member Member

Ok, thank you! I'm gonna just put the shrimp in the 1 gal (un-cycled) until I get the Ich under control. I need to get a better heater but don't have the money right now unfortunately. :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice