Can I put aqua clear inserts in a regent filter?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, I have this regent filter. (I think it is aqua tech 5-15) It has one of those blue pads...There is a tiny bit of space between the blue side and the back of the filter. Then right in front there is a big hole of space on the left and the right has the intake. Would it be possible to put like regular aqua clear inserts in that space or is that space there for a reason and should be left alone? lol Just a thought, the only other filter I have any experience is with my aqua clear which is my first. Is there anyway I could try to sort of work in the aqua clear inserts...like is there a way to make my regent more like my aqua clear without buying an aqua clear (can't right now plus this one is brand new but probably eventually Id like another AC) x

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am assuming that that filter is made like the one I used to have and yes you can insert the sponge by the intake if you like but it will slow the flow significantly.

I would recommend moving the blue pad or the grey pad out, (depending on if you are trying to seed the biological or you are doing it permanently and want the water cleaning of the carbon cartridges), and wedging the sponge on the outake side of the intake area.

Hope this helps and good luck.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sure. In my Aqua-Tech 5-15 I use a combination of media.

I replaced the cartridge with Marineland's blue bonded filter pad cut to fit. I stripped the Aqua-Tech cartridge down to the frame and simply use two rubber bands to secure the blue bonded pad to the cartridge frame. The pad can be rinsed and re-used multiple times vs. replacing a cartridge w/carbon every 3 weeks or so. Filter floss also works.

I've generally used AquaClear inserts for the bio-media. I don't care for the bio-media that comes with the Aqua-Tech and you can't buy stock replacement bio media. I've cut AquaClear sponges to fit the 'bio-holster' ... and I've also removed the stock bio-holster & sponge thing and simply placed an AquaClear biomax insert in it's place. Both worked well.

That said ... I settled on cutting a Hydro sponge pro #2 (the reticulated foam sponge filter) to fit the bio-holster. Fits and functions perfectly.

One thing to be careful of is over-stuffing the filter. If too much media is stuffed into the filter ... it will cause the bypass to kick in.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
oooh yea, don't wanna "over-stuff". I put in as much as I can get away with. Gets a good colony of bacteria, and cycles sponges/media if I ever need them quickly!!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses! I wonder if anyone could help me understand a little better I don't want to overdo any thing. How do I know if I'm over stuffing? All that's in there now is a little blue pad with black plastic back, that came with filter. If I decided to just take it out completely how would you put in the inserts? Say just sticking with A-C sponge, bio max & carbon. Also some poly squashed in too that is in my other cycled tank in the filter.

In My A-C in the cycled tank I have bio max on top, cardon in the middle and a sponge on the bottom. I also put 100% poly in there to get ready so I could transfer it to my new filter.

Any suggestions?

heres a pic.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FLGirl ... did you remove the bio holster/media for picture purposes or do you no longer have it?

I simply tried to keep the media design as close to the same as possible. Being that I don't always run carbon ... I stripped the cartridge down to the black plastic frame and use either blue bonded pad or floss rubber banded to the plastic cartridge frame. When doing this you simply use the cartridge frame as an outline when cutting either media. There is also a little slot on the bottom of the cartridge frame that you'll want to leave open and cut the media around.

The opening in front of the cartridge (where the stock bio holster/media would normally go) is where you could put something like an AquaClear biomax insert (I think I used the one for the AC30). You could also possibly put an AquaClear sponge there as well (prehaps an AC30 sponge or an AC50 sponge cut down a bit).

As I mentioned ... I settled on using the stock bio-holster and cutting a piece of hydro sponge pro #2 sponge filter to fit the frame. The reticulated sponge pro material allows for higher flow rates and is very porous in it's structure.

Stuffing too much media in the filter will cause water to back up (same thing that happens if the media becomes too clogged) ... and you'll notice water simply flowing out of the bypass which is the area around the filter intake tube on the Aqua-Tech 5-15 (the downward ramp with the semi-circle slot around the filter intake tube at the bottom).

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No I didn't remove anything, what's missing? This filter was still vacum sealed with the instructions in plastic so if something missing it must Have been seperated? I took the lid off for picture. The pad came with the filter.

Thanks!! Probably do something like that.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't see the bio-fiber or the holder it goes in. If you still have the box it should have a picture of both on it. You should notice two slots in the larger open area in front of the cartridge ... that's where the holder and bio-fiber should be.

As I've mentioned though ... I didn't care for the bio-fiber, which is why I replaced it. I did however use the holder as mentioned.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No I believe it was part of a 10 gallon kit so it didn't have a box but was sealed. The owners Manuel has no mention or diagram/ picture including it. Would it be similar to the basket type thing I have in my aqua clear were my inserts go? Would it be possible to put something there without the holder?

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, it's not like the AquaClear basket. It's a thinner vertical frame holder with 'hooks' (for lack of a better word) that slide into the notches. It should've been in there.

Yes, you can put something there ... something like an AquaClear biomax (ceramic bio media) insert would work. Prehaps the insert sized for the AC30. An AquaClear sponge may work there as well. I'd go with atleast the AC30 size and possibly even the AC50 size and then cut it to fit if necessary. You could also contact the wal-mart where you bought it to let them know you're missing a filter component and see what they can do.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I didn't buy it at walmart , a friend bought me the tank and stand and with it came the new filter that I had to cut out of plastic, it was never used. I assumed it was from a kit. He got the setupfor10 dollars at a flea market type place. Thanks for the help! I was wondering what that space was for.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No problem. Glad I could help.

You should be just fine with an AquaClear biomax insert or maybe a sponge.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you think either the bio max or sponge or possible both? Could I maybe do both if I did a smaller like AC20 size? I am going to put AC sponge over the intake though (prob a small one) so the pellets alone might be fine. Heres kinda what I'm thinking..

Blue pad will stay and I will put seeded poly in the space in front of it (blue side)
On the intake a AC sponge
In that empty space biomax pellets, maybe a sponge?

Too much??

Eventually it would be

Remove Blue pad part but leave black plastic and put poly there in its place
On the intake a AC sponge
In that empty space biomax pellets, maybe a sponge and maybe a ac carbon pouch?

I definitely want a AC sponge over intake (made a good difference for me in the other tank) So maybe I should nix the sponge in the filter?

Should I go ahead and just remove the blue & carbon beads now and just use the 100% poly to start with so I don't have to worry about removing it down the road?

Will this work?

Sorry if my idea is obviously not going to work, lol but I figure it better to ask even if feel a little silly instead of just wondering.

Thanks for helping me so much!!! arty0024:

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think the poly may be too much along with the cartridge ... and I would use either the biomax or the sponge.

Since you're considering putting a sponge on your intake I would go with the biomax.

Basically this.....

1: Pre-filter sponge
2: Cartridge
3: Biomax

That gives you two forms of biological filtration (pre-filter sponge & biomax), plus two forms of mechanical filtration (pre-filter sponge and cartridge). Also, while running the stock cartridge you'll have chemical filtration as well.

For a pre-filter sponge on my Aqua-Tech 5-15 I've used a Fluval Edge sponge pre-filter. It fits perfectly. The AquaClear sponge will work also ... but can be more difficult to get on.

Another option for a sponge pre-filter would be a Hydro Filter-Max:

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I have to do all the poly because that's what's in my other filter that I will be transferring to my new filter to get my tank cycled. So I guess I'll take the blue pad off so it doesn't over do anything...Then I'll get the bio max & a sponge on the intake. Thanks again!

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Anytime. Glad to help.

You'll be fine with the poly ... I just wouldn't use it and the cartridge together as it could restrict flow and cause the bypass to kick in.

I've used the poly floss as well as the blue bonded pad I mentioned. Simply strip the cartridge down to the black plastic frame ... use the frame as an outline when cutting the poly ... and then use a couple of rubber bands to secure the poly to the plastic frame.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
x

Hopefully get the inserts soon. One question would just putting the inserts I get in my cycled tank help anything? Like would them just sitting on the gravel floor be beneficial at all or pointless when it comes to getting the good bacteria on them to aid in jump starting my other tank? The poly is already in my filter but was wondering about the bio max and sponge.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It would certainly help to place them in your tank that's already cycled. Usually 2-3 weeks seems to work well. Others go a bit longer.

If you can place the inserts in an existing filter on your already cycled tank all the better. That said, beneficial bacteria colonizes on substrate, decor, etc... so placing it in the tank will seed it. Plus as you mentioned ... you already have some poly that should be seeded.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, when I get the inserts I'll put them in there too. I have the poly in the filter but every little bit helps I guess! Thanks! ;D

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads