Can I put an Earthworm in my planted tank substrate? Question 

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I was just wondering, I know earthworms help take care of regular plants and regular soil in the garden. They produce a great source of fertilizer. Can I put them in the substrate of my 75 gallon planted aquarium? Will they serve the same purpose for a planted freshwater fish tank? I hope so...

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
Have you seen the earthworms after heavy rain trying to escape the sodden soil? Short answer is they will drown. They do make good food for big fish like Oscars and I used feed quite a few to mine when I had Oscars.

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
johnbirg said:
Hi,
Have you seen the earthworms after heavy rain trying to escape the sodden soil? Short answer is they will drown. They do make good food for big fish like Oscars and I used feed quite a few to mine when I had Oscars.
I used to think that worms get their supply of air from the oxygen that dissolves through their skin, I remember putting an earthworm to feed my giant red Oscar a long while back and the worm escaped and while doing a water change I saw the worm moving through the gravel. It was about 2 weeks after I put it I remember. I was thinking that they would help fertilize the roots under the substrate. Thanks for your insights!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom