Can I Put All These Fish In 10g Tank

1. J

Jade Woods New Member Member

My tank is fully cycled and I'm planning to buy 2 ADF's and 2 julii cory's and 4 rasboras. Is this okay or it's too much?

2. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome!

I have a few suggestions. I've never kept ADF's but those who have often recommend that they live in a species specific tank. They aren't the best at competing for food and can bite other fish in their quest for food.

Corys need quite a bit of space in a tank and it isn't recommended that they are housed in a tank less than 20g (15g for the dwaft species) so 10g is probably too small for corys. They are also a schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of at least 6 to feel safe and happy.

As far as the rasboras go, they could be a great option for your tank. The small rasboras like the chili rasbora or the exclamation point rasbora would be excellent. So would small tetras like ember tetras or green neon tetra.

There is an excellent thread on here about stocking options for a 10g Stocking List for 10 Gallons. Have a look you might get some inspiration.

Please come back with any questions, there are loads of people on here that have expertise in stocking.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Exactly what I was gonna say! :)

4. Mazeus

Great minds ;)

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Hi!

The frogs would be super happy in a ten gallon tank. You could even have more than two. If you had excellent sponge filtration, you could have several.

You could even have shrimp and small snails, like nerites. And plants.

The other fish you're interested in really need to be in larger groups, in a larger tank. (Even the neons, they really can be quite active!)

6. Sarah73

frogs wouldn't be that good in a 10 gallon. especially with other fish. not enough room..

7. BobNJerry

BobNJerry Valued Member Member

I wouldn't take everyone's word for it here...id do a little research- but a 10 gallon is ideal for an ADF. People get a little overstock crazy around here.

They like a friend with them- they feel safer and you'll see them more.

I have two ADF and a betta in a 5.5 gallon- everyone is happy. The trick with feeding frogs is you have to have food that will get to them in the bottom and you feed them in the same spot every day - i tap the side of the tank and then i use a baster to put the food where i always put it- they eat.. they're happy - they mate like crazy- they don't bother the betta- the betta doesn't bother them.

btw they like lots of plants to hang around on- they lay on them, they use them to push themselves up to get some oxygen.. and they like to hide in the plants.

i think i have a pic of one of them doing some gymnastics on a plant and Bob swimming by.

8. BobNJerry

i agree i wouldn't put an ADF with these fish- if you have seen them eat- it's mouth wide open and dive! LOL they aren't aggressive they are just goofy and clumsy- they don't have very good vision.

9. maggie thecat

As a frog keeper, I disagree. A ten gallon tank is an ideal size for a group of frogs. There is enough room for them to have multiple hides, and it is not so deep that they have difficulty surfacing to breathe.

The other fish being contemplated, are not, however suitable .

10. Mazeus

Just to be clear, I was suggesting green neon tetra (paracheirodon simulans) not neon tetras (Paracheirodon innes) which I would agree would be too active for a 10g.

11. Sarah73

how much is a group of frogs? 3-4? adf's need plenty of space along with food. also @BobNJerry that is too little of room for the beta with frogs. soon your beta is gonna get eaten or the fins will get ripped apart. that is asking for a bad result.

12. BobNJerry

you own frogs? have experience?

13. Sarah73

Look at my profile. I have many years of experience. I used to own frogs.

14. maggie thecat

N
    African Dwarf Frogs, as opposed to African Clawed Frogs, only get a little over an inch from snout to tail. I cannot for the life of me work out why that would be an unsuitable habitat in anyone's opinion.

The general concensus amongst keepers is 1.5 to 2 gallons per frog. Because they are social animals, they need to be kept in groups. Two or 3 in a 5 to 6 gallon tank and up to six frogs in a ten gallon. With good housekeeping and filtration, of course.

Bettas can be kept with Adfs, it's quite a common arrangement. The betta must be of a suitable temperment, naturally.

15. Sarah73

Shoot! I'm thinking of the clawed frog. That is my fault, sorry about that. I just have so much to do I don't always say the correct things. Thanks for keeping my brain. So, yeah they can live in a 5 or 10 gallon.

16. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

haha.....I thought it was strange that you thought dwarf frogs would beat up a betta. I would be more concerned about the dwarf frogs in that arrangement! lol Depending on the betta's personality, they would be the ones in trouble!!

17. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Some posts have been removed & others edited, let’s remember Fishlore rule 1 here
    1. Discussion and debating is encouraged but rudeness, insulting posts, inflammatory posts or personal attacks will not be tolerated. Above all, be respectful of your fellow members”
    Agree to disagree without the snarky comments

18. Sarah73

yeah...sorry about that! was thinking clawed. I'm very tired, sorry. Yes! If you get a soft beta and add adf's that would be perfect.

19. maggie thecat

No worries. Everyone gets things sideways at times.

20. BobNJerry

Yeah like i said.. it's fine.

I have pics in my profile of my AFD and Betta