Can I Put A Platy And Cherry Barb In The Same Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaydG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

Im new to aquariums. I let it filter and got a swordtail. He's like 2 inches but very pasaive. The petsmart woman said not to mix species cuz i have small tank, but if i only have like 2 or 3 fish, could i get a cherry bard to put in with my swordtail? Ive wanted a barb since I got a tank, and apparently cherries are the freindliest and dont nip, so can i put them together?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size is the aquarium? Swordtails can get to four inches.

ZaydG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is 10 gallons with a log and some fake plants

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is 10 gallons with a log and some fake plants
Swordtails need 29 or more gallons. I would say no just considering your tank is basically already overstocked. Most schooling fish do best in at least 20 gallons or more as they need to be in large groups. You could possibly return or rehome the Swordtail and get a few barbs. Depending on type, they may do okay in a 10 gallon.

Castiel*

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherry Barbs are a very peaceful but shy fish. They do best in groups of 6+ and you could do 6 of them in your 10g if you have decent filtration.

The only problem is your sword tail. They get relatively big and In my honest opinion they need a 20g plus tank. So you won't really be able to add much for fish if you have him in there.

ZaydG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Swordtails need 29 or more gallons. I would say no just considering your tank is basically already overstocked. Most schooling fish do best in at least 20 gallons or more as they need to be in large groups.
Ok thanks, are their any other types of fish i can put in, i want some variety instead of just swordtail/platies

Cherry Barbs are a very peaceful but shy fish. They do best in groups of 6+ and you could do 6 of them in your 10g if you have decent filtration.

The only problem is your sword tail. They get relatively big and In my honest opinion they need a 20g plus tank. So you won't really be able to add much for fish if you have him in there.
Ok thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swordtails and Platties are not suitable for your aquarium. Swordtails require 29/30 or more gallons. Platties require 20 gallons or more. I would return/rehome them and get a different species.

ZaydG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Swordtails and Platties are not suitable for your aquarium. Swordtails require 29/30 or more gallons. Platties require 20 gallons or more. I would return/rehome them and get a different species.
What species are good then? I thought platties were the best starter fish, and i have a betta in a seperate tank

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rasboras, there are a fair amount of options. Here is a link: Stocking options for 10 gallons . It is fairly good, however, it mentions Platties and Guppies. Guppies need at least 15 gallons while the Platties need 20. That's the only errors I found. You could possibly get by with a few male guppies with regular upkeep.

Castiel*

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can also crossbreed making some hybrid fish that have issues. Swordtails and Platy shouldn't be in the same tank to begin with.

ZaydG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They can also crossbreed making some hybrid fish that have issues. Swordtails and Platy shouldn't be in the same tank to begin with.
Ok ty soo much, i had no idea

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To add to this, nearly all Swordtails you purchase with the nice colors are hybrids. I haven't had issues breeding my Swordtails. I have also bred a Platy to a Swordtail that was in the tank. There weren't any problems, so I don't think it's that much of an issue. Male and female livebearers together will quickly overrun your tank.

Castiel*

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lets start at the beginning, then we can help find some fish for you. These are some basic questions pretty much all new fish owners will be asked here

Did you cycle your Tank?

What filter do you have on your tank?

Do you have a test kit or have you had the fish store test your water? (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)

Do you have a heater for this tank?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lets start at the beginning, then we can help find some fish for you. These are some basic questions pretty much all new fish owners will be asked here

Did you cycle your Tank?

What filter do you have on your tank?

Do you have a test kit or have you had the fish store test your water? (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)

Do you have a heater for this tank?
Also, is it planted (live plants) or not?

ZaydG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had my water tested at petsmart, my filter came with the tank, its a top fin 10g starter kit, i dont have a heater but my tank is between 73-77 at all times

Fake plants

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With your setup, you could have a Dwarf Gourami. Some DGs are aggressive while others aren't.

Castiel*

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had my water tested at petsmart, my filter came with the tank, its a top fin 10g starter kit, i dont have a heater but my tank is between 73-77 at all times
I would ask them next time to write down or print off your levels so we can help you out better.

If your tank isn't cycled yet (You do know about the nitrogen cycle?), I would get some bottled bacteria like Tetra Safe Start+ or Seachem Stability. It will make a healthy and natural living environment for your fish. Also Seachem Prime (water conditioner) is pretty much a must for cycling and owning aquariums, as it binds up to 1ppm of both ammonia and nitrate making it harmless to your fish for up to 48 hours.

I recommend getting a heater still for your tank, the more stable your tank parameters are and the less things change in the water column will help your fish thrive and be happy.

Don't be afraid to ask anything on here, we are here to help you in your new hobby.

ZaydG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, ik the nitrogen cycle and i will get a heater

I have prime or whatever its called

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?