Can I Put A Bundle Of Peat Moss In My Filter? Question 

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! So I’m considering putting neon tetras in my 20 gallon tank once it is cycled, however I’ve heard that they prefer a ph on the lower scale. Mine is quite high right now, I couldn’t test for high ph but it was well above 7.4 I believe when I checked today. Granted, I’m having my substrate, sand, shipped to me so it’s not even in the tank yet and I’m not sure if that will affect it in any way, but I did want to get a head start on lowering the ph. I’ve heard of almond leaves which I’m greatly leaning towards since they’re so natural. But I’ve also heard of peat moss too, and I was wondering if I could tie a bundle of it up and maybe put it into my filter. Would that lower the ph greatly? Overall I suppose I’m looking for suggestions on how to quickly lower ph and your experiences with them, as well as keeping it consistent. Thanks in advance! -Caroline

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really wouldn’t. It’s best to keep stable parameters than aim for certain ones. If you really want to lower your Ph, look into an RODI unit. Peat moss will stain your water with tannin(tannic acid), which is what softens your water. Again, it’s best to keep your params stable, im sure your neons will adjust to your water.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
I really wouldn’t. It’s best to keep stable parameters than aim for certain ones. If you really want to lower your Ph, look into an RODI unit. Peat moss will stain your water with tannin(tannic acid), which is what softens your water. Again, it’s best to keep your params stable, im sure your neons will adjust to your water.
That is very true. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I’ll keep it in mind.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom