Can I Put A Boxfish In A 20 Gallon Long?

Pearl Boba

Valued Member
Reaction score
I saw this super cute boxfish about the size of a fingertip which is really small. I heard cowfish need 100 gallons and pufferfish need 40 and up. What about boxfish? I have a 20 gallon long so I was hoping I could put a one in it. Here is the picture of the ones I saw.
F44DAD41-58BD-4CBE-99F3-A2AFA3ADDD63.png

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm no expert, but boxfish need a much larger tank than a 20 gallon long. They're also very sensitive I've heard, and I believe they can secrete a deadly poison when stressed that will kill everything in the tank, including itself.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Boxfish can get just as large as need equally large tanks; while there are smaller species, like the “scribbled”, “thornback”, and “camel”, unfortunately, those are not the boxfish in the picture. In your picture are juvenile Yellow boxfish (Ostracion cubicus) and these certainly will get to ~18in.
penguin02 said:
I'm no expert, but boxfish need a much larger tank than a 20 gallon long. They're also very sensitive I've heard, and I believe they can secrete a deadly poison when stressed that will kill everything in the tank, including itself.
And this is true. You also have to be careful in handling them as well because of this reason.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom