Can I mix seeding bacteria?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by warewolff, Jul 1, 2016.

1. warewolffNew MemberMember

Hi all,

Been lurking for quite awhile and just upgraded to a 50 gallon tank. I have my old 20 gallon filter working along a 50-70 gallon filter and have seeded all of my old pieces. I have an unusual question, though, that I can't find answered anywhere. Would it be harmful to use multiple "instant" cycling products to jump start the new tank? ie: Stability, Safe Start, et cetera.

Thanks in advance.

- warewolff

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No, but if you're adding all of the fish and the filter media from the 20 gal to the 50 gal, it will instantly cycle the new tank - no need for bacterial additives.

3. OP
    OP
    w

warewolffNew MemberMember

Thanks -- I used everything but the gravel. I have been using Stability though, and I added about 15 more fish when I upgraded. Any recommendations on this?

Also, is there a scientific reason we can't mix the instant cycling products?

4. TexasDomer

Since you added so many more fish, dose Stability daily, test daily, and do water changes as necessary to keep ammonia and nitrites low until the tank can cycle.

I don't see why you couldn't mix them.

5. OP
    OP
    w

Thank you. Three days into the upgrade so far and ammonia and nitrite are at 0 while nitrates are at 5-10ppm. I asked about mixing the instant cycling products because I have just a little left of the Stability and a full bottle of Tetra SafeStart sitting in the cabinet. I just didn't want to see any whacky spikes after adding the new stuff.

6. TexasDomer

If your ammonia and nitrites are 0, I don't think you need to add any bacterial additive at this time.

7. OP
    OP
    w

My only concern now is that with my API test kit the ammonia levels are almost indecipherable between 0 and 0.25. Obviously 0.25 is not acceptable. I've had established tanks now for awhile and haven't researched some of the better options -- is there a more precise ammonia test I can use to make sure I'm not burning my fish?

Thanks again,
    warewolff

8. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

The only issue I see with mixing bacterial starter products is that usually, the chemicals used to house the bacteria in these bottles act as reducers and depending on your waters buffering capability, can lower your waters PH.

9. TexasDomer

While 0.25 ppm of ammonia isn't ideal, I don't think you need to worry about ammonia burns for that level if it's not a permanent thing. If you think it's more 0.25 than 0, then do a water change and use Prime to detoxify it. Eventually your bacteria will catch up and you should have 0 ammonia in the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice