Can i mix crabs and snails Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Invertebrates' started by Mohib321, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Mohib321New MemberMember

Hi,

The marine tank i bought 3 months ago was second hand running tank(2years as a reef). As I recieved all the rock, sand, filter and some water with all the living organisms I didn't have to endure the hassle of the tank cycle or so i thought. (Tank is 410 litres)

I recieved the tank with a 18 inch snowflake moray eel and a humbug damsel. I sold these to the LPS (only got £15), and added the 2 shrimps, a week later adding another shrimp and the 2 clarki clowns. A few weeks later I added the blue cheek goby and the 4 hermits and the final shrimp.

A few days after setting up the tanks, brown algae started to appear on the sand. After adding the shrimp and goby this cleared up but after a timer plug controlling the lights broke, the lights stayed on all night. The glass on the back of the tank now has 2 patches of brown algae where there is restricted water flow. This may be brown diatoms as the tank was disturbed when broken and set up again.

I was wondering if there are any snails that I can add into the tank to reduce algae on the glass, which will be safe with the hermits about :;saber. Some people reccommed the nerite snails, but i cannot find any marine ones online.

Many thanks,

Mohib321

2. agsansoo

agsansooWell Known MemberMember

Astrea snails are great at eating the brown diatoms. Turbo Snails are also effective at controlling the growth of undesirable algae ! ;)

3. OP
    OP
    M

Mohib321New MemberMember

Thanks for the reply.

A friend of mine added the turbo snail to a tank which contained some small hermits, and a week later all the hermits had new shells;D:;smack. So i don't want to really add the turbo snails.

Anybody else know of any snails that I can keep with hermits??

4. Mcalpine

McalpineNew MemberMember

turbo nassuruth snails blue and red leg hermits .....usually they get along typically one per 1 or 2 gallons depending on stocking i dont have a problem in my 75 with 30~ hermits and 15~ turbos

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice