Can I mix API General Cure with pellets even if fish show no symptoms?

cichlidvo

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help regarding bloat and internal parasites. Some context, I have a 75 Gallon Peacock and Hap tank with about 11 cichlids total. I've heard that you can dose fish with metronidazole 2-3 times a month to prevent fish bloat and internal parasites, which are common in cichlids. However, can I use General cure, because it does contain metro, 2-3 times a month to prevent any bloat or parasite infections or is only used if symptoms appear? Will infusing food pellets with general cure for fish without symptoms dangerous? I'm new to the hobby but understand the nitrogen cycle and cichlid water parameters. If anyone knows anything about API General Cure, please help. Thank you.

Cinabar

Hi, welcome to fishlore! Many people soak fish food in GC and use it as a preventative measure, it is safe for all fish. However, you should keep in mind that using it too often will lead to resistance and it might not be as effective in the future. One or two full doses should get rid of all parasites in the system, and they won't return unless introduced from an outside source (like new fish, contaminated water, some live foods, etc.)

Upvote 0

cichlidvo

Ahh, thank you so much!! Would you say that 2 times a month, once every 48 hours per instructions, is too often or okay?

Upvote 0

Cinabar

Ahh, thank you so much!! Would you say that 2 times a month, once every 48 hours per instructions, is too often or okay?

I’d have to recommend never medicating fish unless you’re 100% sure they’re sick. Once or twice as a preventative measure is alright, but meds are very stressful and could do more harm than good. If you’re using a very mild dewormer for internal parasites, once a month might be ok. Regular doses of general cure is definitely not good though.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Agree for the fullest.
And don't think "general" means "general".
Taking precautions in food (amount, kind of, etc) waterquality, stress is by far more important. Medications will NEVER give a sollution as precaution.

Meds aren't designed as a precaution

Upvote 0

MacZ

Especially as General Cure is a broadband med with several different active ingredients that are not advised against internal parasites and that are also partially underdosed doing this is breeding resistant strains of other parasites and bacteria. Keeping fish under meds is what wholesalers and retailers do to minimize losses, but this entails a slew of problems. The fish lose most of their natural immune response and the pathogens build up resistance. One is forced to keep using meds permanently.
If you are certain your fish are sick, medicate. If not, don't. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

cichlidvo

Thank you all so much for your responses!

Upvote 0

WrenFeenix

I agree with the others; it's best to only medicate if your fish are sick. Saving the medication for when you need it most will help preserve its effectiveness.

If you want to use a holistic method to clear them out (poop out the parasites), you could feed them food with epsom salt or cocoa powder in it once in a while. I find that it works best in gel food; something about gel food makes fish go. Gel food + cocoa powder will unleash an unholy poop reckoning. Be sure to do a water change afterwards.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies