Can I Medicate My Entire Display Tank? What Are The Pros/ Cons?

benjmin
hello,

I have a cycled 40 gallon planted tank and here is my current live stock.

- 3 apistogramma agassizi
- 2 roseline shark (yes I know they're schooling fish and the tank is small for them)

I plan on adding about 20 rummynose tetras and do not have a quarantine tank. Adding the rummingnose would be the last fish I add to the tank for a long time and I was just wondering whether i'd be safe to just medicate my entire display tank? the apisto and roseline are my first fish so didn't go through quarantine process but recently noticed white stringy poop on my apisto and a small white thing coming out of my apistos scale. doens't look like a worm yet, too small to tell.

so my thought process was to just medicate the entire tank so that all fish in the tank are healthy.

thoughts?

thanks!
ben

Advertisement
appcontrol
First don't add 20 tetras at once you could reset your cycle.

Second if you will medicate for something first do it before you add tetras, second be sure what that disease is so you use right meds.

Third cons of medications in main tank is that healthy fish will be under stress without any reason. Second if you treat with antibiotics you could destroy your cycle.

Pros. I really don't see any major ones.

And for diagnosis of disease pictures and more infos would be useful.

Advertisement
benjmin
First don't add 20 tetras at once you could reset your cycle.

Second if you will medicate for something first do it before you add tetras, second be sure what that disease is so you use right meds.

Third cons of medications in main tank is that healthy fish will be under stress without any reason. Second if you treat with antibiotics you could destroy your cycle.

Pros. I really don't see any major ones.
woah thanks! it's really hard to get pictures bc the white spot on my apisto is so small. what would be the best way to add a large number of tetras?

appcontrol
woah thanks! it's really hard to get pictures bc the white spot on my apisto is so small. what would be the best way to add a large number of tetras?
Maybe it is just a ich but who knows without a picture.
I would suggest adding 5 tetras per week so every 7 days 5 tetras. But add them after all medications and when everything is back to normal

benjmin
I would suggest adding 5 tetras per week so every 7 days 5 tetras. But add them after all medications and when everything is back to normal

here are a couple of photos I got this morning!

Attachments

• IMG-9726.jpg
    IMG-9726.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-9729.jpg
    IMG-9729.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG-9730.jpg
    IMG-9730.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 114
appcontrol
It's not a ich but I don't know what that could be.

Ddogg2287
I actually asked a similar question recently on here. But many of my fish died once every few days, and all due to different reasons. The only things thriving in my tank are two diamond tetras and feeder ghost shrimp that are doing quiet well. I plan on doing the three hit combo of eurythromycin, general med tabs and maybe ich x if needed. I saw a video on it from and they stated that it was safe for fish, plants and shrimp

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Herkimur
Replies
Views
deadmanswill
Replies