Can I Make Money Off Of Guppys.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Fish tank, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Fish tank

Fish tank Valued Member Member

I am breaking guppys and need a way to sell them. Is it possible to sell them on the street and put up flyers and my phone number. Is it illegal to sell them alone with out a license or somthing. I am not using the internet.

2. vijay3242

vijay3242 Well Known Member Member

It mostly depends on state codes. In my state if you are starting an actual business for profit on the side of the road you need a permit.

3. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I doubt anyone would arrest you for it, but I also doubt that you will have many customers. If you just have some LFS/big box store guppies that won't stop breeding, people probably aren't likely to buy them since the LFS is cheaper/reliable and your guppies won't exactly be high-quality, unless you have a pure strain that you purchased from a specialized breeder/aquabid that you regularly cull

Are you willing to cull, feed, and grow out the fry? People don't want baby fish. I'm not saying this to dissuade you from selling the fish, but it may be more difficult than you think.

4. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

Could could put an ad in the local paper?

5. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

What about craigslist ?

6. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

Original Post states not advertising on the internet.

7. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

The only way you will make real money is if you start with very high quality breeding stock. A breeding pair or trio from a competition winning breeder costs about $50 plus shipping. Random guppy breeding with LFS stock will mostly yield feeder guppy quality. You can line breed starting with inexpensive guppies but it will take over a year of line breeding to get enough generations for consistent offspring.

We do have a lot of local aquarists that sell fish where I live. They use Facebook, local shows and forum classifieds.

8. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

I know... ( I can read LOL)Just giving an idea if he ends up having to sell online.

9. OP
    OP
    Fish tank

Fish tank Valued Member Member

Hey we're do you live so I can give an estimate about my riegon

10. O

Iowa, but I am referring to breeders from Florida, NY etc. They were about $15 when I was breeding them in the 1990s. Stupid high shipping makes it much tougher to buy and sell long distance now.

11. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

The way I see it, if your LFS is selling them for let's say a dollar, and you sell them for .50 cents you just made .50 cents and what did it cost you. I would try to do some selective breeding, find some coloring that you like in the male and pair him up with a couple females and see what the off spring give you.
    Remember, females hold about three cycles of male sperm so after she releases pull her out and put in a separate female only tank for awhile.
    I don't know how many people would buy guppies from you, but what do you have to loose.

12. O

My LFS charges about $2.99 each and 98% of them are junk. If you have something decent you can make a fair profit. But a tank full of random guppies breeding = feeder quality fry with rare exceptions. It takes some work and several tanks to develop anything desirable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice