Can i make a 1/2 g batta tank a fry tank?

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I have a 1/2 g long betta tank i used to house my adf in it has no heat no filter not even a hole for an airline but i have it on hand and need a nursary tank for my 1 day old guppy fry they are currently in 6oz plastic container floating in the guppy tank which im changing the water in 2x daily
    So what can i do with this 1/2 g to make it suitable?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

3. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I know and i plan to but i dont have the funds right now i didnt expect fry so soon the sole reason they r in the 6 oz is heat i cant float the half gallon and the vents in the top r big enough for the fry to swim threw if it sinks

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I never net my fry out of the main tank and usually end up with 5/6 surviving each time. I would suggest leaving them with their parents or you will quickly become overstocked. It won't cost you anything either. give them lots of hiding places to help the survival rate if you like.xx

5. WiFi Well Known Member Member

If you don't have money or space to purchase a separate fry tank and supplies, then you should just leave them in the main tank. If you have quite a few hiding spaces or floating plants most of them should survive! You will become extremely overstocked if you try to keep all the fry alive by separating them.

Natures course is usually the best way to let your tanks run. Its the cheapest and the most effective for healthy strong fish.

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I took these out because the fish in the tank are not healthy because they came from an extreamly over stocked tank of feeders and i dont have any plants in the tank just 2 hides the babys were hiding in the gravel or trying to at least

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Just to give you an idea... EACH female could have 40 fry a month, say you have three females, that's 120 fry every month then say you put ten in a 10G, you will need 12 new 10G tanks every month. Just a bit of perspective. I know it's not nice to let them get eaten but it's better for everyone if some do I'm afraid/

8. frogfan Well Known Member Member

And im sure some did i didnt really go out of my way to save them just scooped up the ones who were trying to not get eatten i couldnt just watch them get eatten thats just cruel

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I would feel awful if I had to watch them get eaten but, the truth is I have never seen any get eaten (they're in a tank with guppies, tetras, cories and a DG), the numbers have just slowly dropped. I also purposefully feed some of the fry to my betta and angelfish. I put them in and walk away.

I know where you are coming from but you just won't have space for them all. The ones that get eaten tend to be the slow, runts who you don't really want breeding anyway.

I am not trying to tell you that you have to let them get eaten. I want you to think this through. take the number of females you have and times it by 40... That will give you an idea of what could happen. My guppies occasionally only have two or three fry but you never know what will happen next.

I don't have any males. I currently have around 30 fry in about 4 months. I repeat I DON'T HAVE ANY MALES and the fry keep coming. I have 2 x 25Gallon tanks set up, one for boys, one for girls and I think I am going to need two more, at the very least.

It's not cruel, it's mother nature. It doesn't sit well with me either, but what are you going to do with hundreds of fry? Do you have an LFS that will take them? Most won't take them until they are 4-5months old.

Do you have space, funds, time for LOTS of new tanks, decor, substrate, conditioner, food, treatment, medications?

Are you able to sell them or give them away?

You need to have a plan when you have livebearers, especially if you are saving the fry. I don't mean to sound like I'm pushing this on you, but it's a lot of work.xxx

EDIT: if you are planning on saving them you will need more than 1/2 Gallon tank as they grow quite fast, a filter and a heater... everything you have for their parents!x

10. WiFi Well Known Member Member

:;perfect
    This about sums it up!

11. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I know about all this i dont plan on saving them all right now theres only 5 and i just need somewhere to put them there is about 7 or 8 females left but most of them wont live long enough to have babies since i have lost 1-2 a day since i got them

12. Blueszz Well Known Member Member

Frogfan, are you saying you are loosing 1-2 adult guppy's a day? If that is true I'm afraid you have a problem in the guppy tank as loosing so many adults is not normal. Maybe this is something we should look into.

13. frogfan Well Known Member Member

They came from a feeder tank it was over crowded and alot of the fish had severe damage to their fins and bellies and im sure were extreamly stressed i figure the stronest will make it and the weak ones will die so far there are 4 or 5 doing of the rest are not doing as well

14. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I think you need to figure out what's going on in there. Are you treating them at all? What are your parameters? Loosing 2 guppies a day is a big problem. You could do with putting the sick ones in QT.x

15. frogfan Well Known Member Member

@ hollie and others who didbt answer the question at hand not only was all of that really unhelpful but completely off topic if i wanted to be berated and told im doing everything wrong ill just talk to my mother. As i have stated multipul times the fish were sick when i got them they are in the middle of a heat treatment to deal with the ich they came with but again thats totally off topic since the only thing i asked was how to make the container i had suitable but you failed to actually answer that question because your stuck on what you think im doing wrong so how about in the future u either stay on topic or just dont comment on my posts thanks

16. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I apologise if I offended you. I didn't intend to make you feel like you were doing anything wrong because you're not. I was really trying to help you. I just don't think you can save them if you don't have a tank for them to live in.

There isn't really a way to make that container safe for the fry. Have you looked at using a breeding net in the tank? I didn't think you wanted them in the same tank is all.

I don't want you to think I am telling you what to do. I am in a similar situation and have lots of fry that I can't look after. I was trying to give you a realistic outlook. I didn't mean for you to feel like I was saying you were doing anything wrong, on the contrary.. I greatly respect that you have decided to save these fish, it is a fantastic thing to do. If you can't get another tank or breeder net set up, have you considered adding lots of hiding places in the main tank? You could use pebbles that will have holes between them for the fry to hide in.

I know you can't get a filter or heater so your options are limited. To directly answer the question of what you can do with the tank if you can't get a filter and heater, you can't do a lot. I understand where you are coming from but I did answer your question and tried to give you the best advice I could.x

17. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I apogize for being short i have no tact and im really only capable of saying exactly what i think which generaly comes out as harsh
    I do have a breeder net which the fry are in now i tryed adding a spong filter to the 1/2 g but my air pump wasnt strong enough to power.it.and circulate in the main tank
    The whole reason i did t want them in the main tank os i dont think they wi survive the heat treatment for the ich which i guess is irrelivant since they were exposed to it the moment they were born

18. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

No worries :) I feel I may have sounded a little forceful with what I was saying but it is only because you are where I was a few months back. Sometimes the hardest thing about asking for advice, is hearing it. Know what I mean?

Maybe being in the breeder in the tank is the best thing for them? They get the Ich treatment and you don't have to run another tank. Fingers crossed they survive the heat (I have no experience there) and if you do, you know they're strong little things.

You are doing the right thing, whatever you decide to do. I know you have their best interests at heart and I have never doubted that. Good luck with them all :)

19. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Thank you they seem.pretty stong but all the fry stuff i read said not to keep then in temps over 80 the tank is at 86

20. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

You have them in a breeder net now? In the main tank, I assume... Leave them. They are a hundred times better off in a trap in the main tank than they will be in a half gallon container with no heat and no filter.

High temps mean faster growth, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. 86 is about the highest a guppy is comfy in, but having had many livebearer fry last summer where I live, I can honestly say that they'll be just fine in that temp and you'll have more survivors than you know what to do with. I would release them back into the main tank at two weeks old, and let nature take its course from there. You're going to have hundreds of them soon if you save all of the fry, so keep that in mind for the future.

Personally I choose to let my fry be born and live their juviehood in the main tank with their parents. I plant my tanks well and there are plenty of hiding places, so I always get good, strong survivors. Any that don't survive are fish I'd probably cull anyway if I was doing fry harvesting, and that's just too much work for me xD