30 Gallon Tank Can I let a FEW mystery snail eggs hatch? Is there a safe way to separate them?

katdixon58

Can I let a FEW mystery snail eggs hatch? Is there a safe way to separate them?

awilkinson871

You can but a few many mean 10s or 100s of snails. The best way is to remove the egg pouch after it is laid and put it in another container. I believe mattgirl did this and ended up with 80+ from a small clutch.

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I am not sure what you mean about a safe way to separate them. Do you mean the clutches of eggs or the snails after they have hatched?

Keep in mind, each clutch of mystery snail eggs can have 100 or more eggs in each one. The good thing about mystery snail eggs is you can easily see and remove them. If you want to allow one to hatch you can either just leave it where it was laid or you can remove it, put it in a container with a wet paper towel in it and they should hatch in a couple of weeks. Punch tiny holes in the lid on the container to allow some air to get in. I actually opened the container at least once a day to allow some fresh air in and to make sure the eggs clutch was still moist.

I allowed one small clutch to hatch and ended up with 70 baby snails. Most of the clutches she laid had well over a 100 eggs in it. The biggest one had to have had at least 250 eggs. Needless to say, without intervention on our part we can easily be overrun with snails.

If you leave it in the tank some tiny snails may get eaten if you have fish in the tank. Most will probably survive and thrive though.

BigManAquatics

I think what OP is wondering is if you can safely remove a small part of the clutch from the bulk of the clutch. I don't know if there is a safe way to do that or not

katdixon58

I think what OP is wondering is if you can safely remove a small part of the clutch from the bulk of the clutch. I don't know if there is a safe way to do that or not
Yes, that is exactly what I am asking.

mattgirl

Yes, that is exactly what I am asking.
I understand now. I agree with BigManAquatics I am afraid you would damage the eggs trying to separate them. I know it is hard from some to do but it might be best to just allow the whole clutch to hatch and then just keep a few of the little snails. Crush the rest and feed them to your fish or shrimp if you have any. Shrimp love crushed snails. If you are unable to do this there may be a way.

You really won't know unless you try. If i was only wanting to allow a small part of a clutch to hatch I would use a very sharp knife and cut off a small part of the clutch. Just keep a close eye on the part you keep to make sure the broken eggs don't cause a fungus to grow on the rest of the eggs.

katdixon58

I understand now. I agree with BigManAquatics I am afraid you would damage the eggs trying to separate them. I know it is hard from some to do but it might be best to just allow the whole clutch to hatch and then just keep a few of the little snails. Crush the rest and feed them to your fish or shrimp if you have any. Shrimp love crushed snails. If you are unable to do this there may be a way.

You really won't know unless you try. If i was only wanting to allow a small part of a clutch to hatch I would use a very sharp knife and cut off a small part of the clutch. Just keep a close eye on the part you keep to make sure the broken eggs don't cause a fungus to grow on the rest of the eggs.

Thank you for your suggestions! I will take them to my fish store or what I usually do is euthanize them in the freezer. Then to my compost to build my roses.

mattgirl

Thank you for your suggestions! I will take them to my fish store or what I usually do is euthanize them in the freezer. Then to my compost to build my roses.
Some folks are kinda squeamish when it come to disposing of excess snails. I am not one of them but try to take into account some folks are. I missed one clutch in my big tank. One day I started seeing babies and discovered the empty clutch under the lip of my HOB filter. I had to go into a hunt and squish mode. I already had 70 babies. I really couldn't handle any more. Maybe cruel to some but in my case necessary.

FishPlanet

I would hatch them and give them to your LFS.

katdixon58

It is what it is.

NearMeBettas

There is no good way to separate them. Id either try to sell them on the forum or to your local fish store. The other option would be to give the away. You could also but them down, but id try the other options first. ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Olivia Janae
  • Snails
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
Kribensis27