Can I leave fish without aeration overnight?

Rafael4751

I need to know if I can leave my fish without aeration over night. 3 Odessa barbs, and 2 Angel Fish. 29 gallon tank

MonsterGar

Very risky. Normally I would say no, but you have such few fish that you might be able to get away with it. Just add air-stones or something like that before taking away the aeration so that there is as much oxygen in the tank as possible. Plants also generate small amounts of oxygen, so if its a heavily planted tank than it is less risky.

But don't do it if you don't have too.

Upvote 0

Elkwatcher

Perhaps get a battery pack off of Amazon and use with an air stone for emergencies. $20 or less.

Upvote 0

Quiche

Honestly, I think they'll be perfectly fine, as long as they don't have any other health conditions- I've accidentally left filters off overnight after water changes and I don't run air stones, but my fish came out the other side no worse for wear. To be fair, though, my tank is a lightly stocked 55g. If you're concerned, I'd go with Elkwatcher's idea for the future, but I really don't think one night is going to do them any harm.

A quick note on plants- at night when they're not photosynthesizing, they actually use up oxygen instead of producing it. That's really only a problem if you have a densely planted tank though, if you just have a couple of anubias or something they're not going to suffocate your fish.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

What exactly is the emergency ?

Will the filter be running ? If so there is not any problem.

Upvote 0

PaulThaAsian

I've done it through power outages before. Air it as much as you can by filling up a bucket of aquarium water from the tank and putting it back in right before you go to bed and right when you get up. I read you do that once an hour or so. Buy a battery-operated one off amazon for next time to put your mind at ease.

Upvote 0

RLI

Sorry, I'm now on a different account but it was successful I had plenty of aeration. Thanks for all the advice I will take all of it into consideration next time I need to.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
QueenLittleLizard
Replies
Views
FreshWaterPirate
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies