Can I Keep These Fishes Together? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by ViridiosExotics, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ViridiosExotics

ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

Can I keep a Scooter Blenny (Ocellated Dragonet) and a Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus) together in a 33 Gallon Reef Aquarium or would they fight or bully each other?:;dk

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

IMO a scooter blenny generally is not a good choice for a 33 gallon, or any other tank without a sump and refugium. Few dragonets accept prepared foods (at least, not without some training), and they graze almost constantly on 'pods. One dragonet can decimate your 'pod population in a matter of a couple weeks without a refugium.

3. OP
    OP
    ViridiosExotics

I already have the scooter (for years) and is doing very well, He loves frozen brine shrimp!
    But in terms of temperament would the lawnmower attack the scooter?

4. harpua2002

Possibly.

5. OP
    OP
    ViridiosExotics

Are lawnmowers Aggressive to other bottom feeders from your experience?

6. harpua2002

I don't keep one, but a lot of folks report that they are aggressive to other bottom-dwelling fish.

7. locoyo386

locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

As far as feeding they both should do fine. When it comes to aggression, the Sailfin Blenny might be aggressive towards the Scooter Blenny, simly because it almost resembles it in color and shape. My experience is always the same, it depends on the individual fish itself. To me tha chances are 50/50, it either will be aggressive or not. It helps if you have two set of aragements of rocks, like one on each side of the tank in the long direction, with some clear space in between them. Also if you have alot of rock work, that may help in reducing the time they really see each other. The Scooter Blenny tends to be more in the open and the Sailfin Blenny tends to purch more on the rock work.

8. locoyo386

locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

When it comes to eating pods it is more the Mandarin Dragonets that depend on the pods for survival. I now of some people that have been able to keep them on frozen foods though, not likely but possible.

9. harpua2002

Both are dragonets, and I've seen just as many problems with the scooter as the mandarin. JMO.

10. OP
    OP
    ViridiosExotics

I thought Lawnmowers/Algae Blennies were 'True' Blennies and Scooter 'Blennies' were dragonets?

11. harpua2002

Yep! :)
    What I was saying is that the scooter and mandarin are both dragonets. I guess I wasn't too clear, lol.

12. OP
    OP
    ViridiosExotics

No worries harpua! thanks for the help!:;toast

13. Stang Man

Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Lawn mower blens will have an impact on skooters they are more dominate than mowers so don't go that route most blenny's can be very dominate over other blen's due to there activitiy as they do and do a goby or some other type such as a bigger fish that won't be so aggresive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice