Can I keep salt in tank after ich treatment?

Beckie520

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I recently beat ich. I used the heat and salt method. After all the controversy I read about it, I tried it anyway. Well it worked beautifully. Even my uneffected fish look better. Could this be from the salt? I don't have any brackfish. Penguin tetras, Panda Cory, bushy nose Pleco, dwarf gouramI glow tetra.
I feel like the colors in my fish have intensified. I will be lowering the temp back to 80°. And I will lower that salt. But can I keep some in. The box said very beneficial for gils etc..... Before anyone freaks out , yes I did use the proper aquarium salt. No I dint use table salt.

Mbross325

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not sure, depends on who you ask. I heard that aquarium salt and plecos don't mix well. The only use of aquarium salt that I can think of is for brackish tanks and for platies and mollies. Then again, I could be wrong

kimberlyKeidron

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't leave it in for the sole purpose of your pleco. I had a bad experience trying it. And it will literally burn their skin.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How much are you wanting to keep in? I.e., teaspoons, tablespoons? What size tank?

You won't burn their skin as long as its mixed beforehand, dissolved in tank water first.

OP
B

Beckie520

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To cure ich I was doing 1 tbls per gallon as suggested on packaging. I mixed it with tank water(separate container) and introduced it slowly over 3 days. ie 38g 38 tbls. I will be reducing this because I no long need it. Ich is gone. I was thinking maybe 1/4 of that. 9 tablespoons for a 38g tank. Bushy nose hasn't shown any signs of discomfort. But what do I know lol.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I was going to use salt at all it would be 1 tbsp per 5-10 gallons. You were treating with .3% which is really the maximum you would use and makes sense for ich and is fine for short term use but would probably kill your fish if it went longer than a few weeks.

To me less is more and generally you shouldn't need any salt but if you really want to try it, I'd just do 1 tbsp per 10 gallon and see how things go.

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It won't benefit any of your fish, because they're all freshwater fish. The improvement you see is because you have cured the Ich, not because of the salt. Plecs don't tolerate it well long term.

sheenalee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm wondering if the intensity of your fishes colours is a by product of the higher temp. Think I read somewhere that higher temps trigger breeding behaviour in fish. That may be the cause? :/

New Threads