Can I keep red cherry shrimp in a one gallon?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by fishy5, Jul 28, 2015.

1. fishy5

fishy5 Valued Member Member

so. Here's the whole story in shortened form. (Run-on sentence alert!! :p) My friend sees my Betta, wants a Betta; friend's bday is coming soon, I had the brilliant idea of getting her a Betta and one gallon tank, did a little research on tanks and saw lots of stuff about ammonia buildup In a one-gallon, got worried for my own three Bettas who are homed in three one gallons with monthly water changes.

Thats the dealio. So then I was trying to think of very basic fish that can be kept in a one gallon if a Betta cannot be safely kept (was I right on this? Or can I continue to keep Bettas in these one gallons?), and when my research turned up none, I started thinking of red cherry shrimp.

Here are my questions: Can I keep red cherry shrimp in a one gallon? If yes, what do they eat, how many can I put in, and do they have any special requirements? Basically, how do u keep them? If you could point me to a website or sticky, that would be great!

Thanks so so much guys! You all are awesome!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Putting bettas into one gallon bowls is cruel and inhumane. All fish need to have filters and betta are tropical fish that need heaters. There is no way your one gallon tanks are even cycled, probably.

3. OP
    OP
    fishy5

All my tanks have heat sources. Thank you for your concerns :) Dom90 could you redirect me to some inverts that could safely survive in a one gallon? Id particularly like to know more about red cherry shrimp if you've had an experience. Thank you so much Dom90 !

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm no expert on inverts, I think Dolfan or EricV could help you though.

5. OP
    OP
    fishy5

6. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Vyvid could also be of help

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

8. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Your friend is not going to be happy with the results of keeping cherry shrimp as a intro to the hobby. Can you get a 3 to 5 gallon taller tank. Foot print should be similar to the 1 gallon. Results with a Betta would be much better.

9. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Why do you say that? Cherry shrimp are very undemanding and low maintenance and can be a great way to get your feet wet so to speak in the hobby.

And yes a 1 gallon tank is just fine for them. I've had a colony living in an unheated 1 gallon jar for a few years now.

10. OP
    OP
    fishy5

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice