Can I keep Peacock Gudgeons?

gothicgroucho

I have a 20-gallon-long planted aquarium. Right now it houses 11 neon tetras and 9 harlequin rasboras. Today I saw a group of peacock gudgeons at my LFS and am considering whether I can keep them. A few questions:

1. If I get a male and a female, will that be OK, or will there be aggression between them. I.e., do a pair have to "like" each other? Should I get more than just a pair?

2. I have read that they prefer a sand substrate. The ones at my LFS were over gravel, and didn't really seem to go near the substrate. I have Eco-Complete, which is not recommended for a lot of bottom fish like cories. Is this likely to be a problem for peacock gudgeons?

4. My neons and rasboras are "chase-y"; will this stress out the peacock gudgeons?

5. If the gudgeons decide to breed, would they be too aggressive to my schooling fish?

6. My KH runs between 4 and 5. Is that too low?

BigManAquatics

What i have read on gudgeons is the males can get aggressive with each other but it is mostly a dog and pony show. 2 pairs would be better as they are a shy fish but less shy in numbers.

Upvote 0

gothicgroucho

What i have read on gudgeons is the males can get aggressive with each other but it is mostly a dog and pony show. 2 pairs would be better as they are a shy fish but less shy in numbers.
Thanks. Any thoughts about the substrate?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I have seen that sand is reccomended, but i am going to be trying with gravel myself before too long(i hope).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
tiktaalik
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cerberusfish
Replies
Views