Can I Keep Only One Gender Of Guppies? Help

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by MelloKitty711, Jul 14, 2019.

1. MelloKitty711

MelloKitty711Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have 5 guppy fry, which I believe to be 3 males and 2 females. They are going on 2 months old. I dont want them to breed, and I want to just get another kind of fish maybe, or some male fancy guppies. Can I just have males? Or will that not work? And what do I even do with the extra guppies? I feel bad but I really dont want to deal with more fry at the moment, my tank is not even cycled yet and I was given a female who was pregnant already and very unhealthy, she died... so now I have the fry and they are very healthy now but I just would rather pick out my favorite fish than deal with guppies who keep breeding. Any advice?

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can keep just males with no ill effects, lots of people do. What you do with the extras is up to you, I used to feed mine to other fish. You can rehome them or give them to a lfs if you like.

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Just males is fine, yes.

4. OP
    OP
    MelloKitty711

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh okay, I would rather see if a fish store would take them than take them to a animal shelter, I feel like they would be better equipped to handle them than a shelter. I didnt know fish stores would take in fish.

5. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I sell to my LFS all the time. They would rather buy locally than have fish shipped. However places like petco/petsmart won't. An animal shelter wouldn't take them for sure lol, wouldnt have a clue what to do with fish.
    Granted a true fish store probably won't buy them unless they are good quality breeding stock since they are guppies, but will still accept them.

6. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    An all-male tank is fine. You can post the females on craigslist, give them to an LFS, or bring them to a Petco/Petsmart (I believe they are required to take in any fish people can no longer care for - both the Petcos and Petsmarts in my area have "adoption tanks" where they also sell plants - its for fish people brought in but that they can't sell, so they either give them away or at a very low price).

7. OP
    OP
    MelloKitty711

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh I didnt know that, that's awesome. Thank you

8. MrBryan723

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I tried to give some fish to my local petsmart and they told me they couldn't take them. Granted these were larger more exotic fish that I inherited, but my lfs was more than glad to purchase them off of me.