Can i keep neon tetras in 10 inches bowl Question 

  • Thread starter

sanketahir1985

New Member
Messages
24
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
1 year
Can I keep neon tetras in 10 inches bowl?
is there any harm for them ?
I have oxygen machine for bowl
what is the preffered no. of fishes in the above bowl
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,060
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Sanketahir and Welcome to Fish Lore,

I would not recommend housing Neon Tetras in a bowl. They require an established mature tank (3 to 6 months old) with heat and filtration. They can be very sensitive to water conditions.

Ken
 
  • Thread starter

sanketahir1985

New Member
Messages
24
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
1 year
for which fishes the bowl is recommended?
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,060
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I can't say that a 10" bowl would be a proper home for any fish without a heater, filtration and possibly an air pump. How many gallons of water does it hold? If it holds less than 3 gallons I don't think I'd use it.

Ken

Edit:

Check out this link/thread created by Butterfly. This is something you may want to consider for your bowl:
 

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,270
Reaction score
81
Points
283
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore! I agree with Ken that an unfiltered, unheated bowl probably is not an appropriate home for any fish.

If you would like, on the main FL page, there is a list of fish on the right. If you click on a fish you are interested in, it takes you to the fish's profile page. It will list minimum tank recommendations, good tank mates, etc.

Enjoy this site.
 

hyun007

Valued Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
Just started
He is in India, weather is usually hot and humid, so I do not think he need a heater.

A betta should be okay in a fish bowl.
Although it is boring to have just 1 fish.
 

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Messages
724
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 to 10 years
hyun007 said:
He is in India, weather is usually hot and humid, so I do not think he need a heater.

A betta should be okay in a fish bowl.
Although it is boring to have just 1 fish.
I don't think a bowl is suitable at all for a betta, they need at least a ten gallon with filtration and heat. The fact that so many people do it does not make it right or good for the betta's health. [Please don't keep bettas or any fish in a small bowl, its just cruel!!!
 
  • Thread starter

sanketahir1985

New Member
Messages
24
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
1 year
currently I have 10 inches(3-4 litre) bowl with 2 gold fishes & oxygen pump
I have been managing it from last 3 months both the fishes are healthy & happy
I used to change the water partially on daily basis.
since their size is increasing so I m planning to sell them and keep neon tetras in it.
Kindly suggest.
 

Tys15

New Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Points
81
Experience
2 years
I am with everyone else in saying that a bowl is too small of an environment to keep any fish properly. Any fish deserves a proper home and good water conditions, things that a bowl cannot deliver.

If you are that intent on getting more fish you should really invest in at least a 10 gallon aquarium. The goldfish in that bowl may look happy but most goldfish get big, fast and they will eventually die or get seriously sick.

There have been a couple people that have already told you this, if you don't want to take their advice, simply repeating the question will not offer different answers.
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,060
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I see that you are from India and I assume that English is not your first language. If you are having problems understanding what has been posted please let us know.

So far, no one that has posted feels that any type of fish should be housed in a 10" bowl. I don't know that you are going to receive any suggestions as to what fish to keep.

Have you ever considered some type of Shrimp? Cherry Shrimp, Snails, along those lines? I'm sorry but I don't know what might be offered in your area that would possibly thrive in your bowl.

Ken
 

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,270
Reaction score
81
Points
283
Experience
1 year
hyun007 said:
He is in India, weather is usually hot and humid, so I do not think he need a heater.

A betta should be okay in a fish bowl.
Although it is boring to have just 1 fish.
I am also from a hot and humid place. A heater regulates temperatures so there isn't constant fluctuation. Temperate weather fish like goldies do fine with temperature fluctuation, but most tropical fish would become stressed in such an environment. Stress leads to fish being more prone to disease. Besides, it isn't like every day in MumbaI is tropical. They have seasons.

And no, a betta won't be "okay" in a bowl. Where a betta may live three years in a proper home (filtered, heated, cycled), in a bowl you'll be lucky if he lives a few months. I know this from personal experience. There's a huge difference between surviving and thriving; a betta may survive a bowl, but it is not an appropriate home. Although I don't agree with NMFishman that a betta must have 10 gallons, I do think they need a good environment, and would recommend 3-5 gallon tanks for them. If a bowl is big enough to hold at least 2.5 gallons of water, it could work for a betta, but only if it's heated and filtered.

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Betta.htm
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,691
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
In a 3-4 litre bowl, you are very restricted in what you can do with it. This is about 1 gallon... There would not really be enough space for 1 neon plus a heater, filter & gravel I'm afraid. As neons are tropical schooling fish, one is not enough in there. You could keep aquatic plants, or shrimp, as suggested. That would be nice.
 

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Messages
724
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu said:
I am also from a hot and humid place. A heater regulates temperatures so there isn't constant fluctuation. Temperate weather fish like goldies do fine with temperature fluctuation, but most tropical fish would become stressed in such an environment. Stress leads to fish being more prone to disease. Besides, it isn't like every day in MumbaI is tropical. They have seasons.

And no, a betta won't be "okay" in a bowl. Where a betta may live three years in a proper home (filtered, heated, cycled), in a bowl you'll be lucky if he lives a few months. I know this from personal experience. There's a huge difference between surviving and thriving; a betta may survive a bowl, but it is not an appropriate home. Although I don't agree with NMFishman that a betta must have 10 gallons, I do think they need a good environment, and would recommend 3-5 gallon tanks for them. If a bowl is big enough to hold at least 2.5 gallons of water, it could work for a betta, but only if it's heated and filtered.

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Betta.htm
I generally consider 5 gallons the bare minimum for a betta; however, if the alternative is a small bowl than 2.5 gallons and is heated and filtered than it would be somewhat ok, though I would never think about doing it myself.
(I tend to get a little worked up about bettas in bowls since so many people do it and see nothing wrong with it. They are amazing fish and IMO can only be really enjoyed in 10+ gallons, MY betta in my 55 gal is absolutely beautiful and amazing!)
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,691
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
I would love to have room for a 55 gallon lol!! Sorry to be OT, but do you have pics?

Sanketahir, any updates on what you're thinking now?
 

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,270
Reaction score
81
Points
283
Experience
1 year
sanketahir1985 knows that most of us agree that his bowl is not betta-appropriate. In his thread, I think we can leave it at that.

If we want to further discuss optimal tank size for a betta, I am happy to open up a thread for further discussion.

sanketahir1985, I'm sorry that we started a debate in your thread; we didn't mean to hijack it! We'll get back on topic now.
 

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Messages
724
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tigerfishy said:
I would love to have room for a 55 gallon lol!! Sorry to be OT, but do you have pics?
When I took pics the betta was a little scared of the camera and since I was tired I could not get any, but I will try to get more latter today.
 

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Messages
724
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu said:
sanketahir1985 knows that most of us agree that his bowl is not betta-appropriate. In his thread, I think we can leave it at that.

If we want to further discuss optimal tank size for a betta, I am happy to open up a thread for further discussion.

sanketahir1985, I'm sorry that we started a debate in your thread; we didn't mean to hijack it! We'll get back on topic now.
Yeah sorry about that, but I think sanketahir1985's question was answered. It seems most everyone thinks he can't have anything except like Ken suggested and he gets shrimp.
 
  • Thread starter

sanketahir1985

New Member
Messages
24
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
1 year
Thanx guys Thanx a lot for help
I will definitely purchase 15 gallon tank for neon tetras
till that time u can see my 58 gallon fish tank pics...
 

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,060
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
What a beautiful tank! I love it! I've never seen one like it.

Thanks for sharing the photos Sanketahir! Beautiful fish!

Ken
 

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Messages
587
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Wow sweet setup!
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom