Can I keep my red platy with my female blue wag fry?

felix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My male red platy and my female blue wag got some fry.

Most of it is blue wag colored some red and there are no weird "mixed colored" fish if you get what I mean.

Most of the fry is male so I'm going to get rid of that anyway as the father will fight them.

I've got some female blue wag and I was thinking maybe I should keep one but then I thought what happens if the father breed with his daughter because heb certainly will.

Would it be okay to keep a daughter of my red platy or should I buy a female sunset platy?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why do you think the father will fight the male fry? With platys I think it is better to have 2-3 females per male so they don't stress out the females with constant mating. How big is your tank ? The sunset platy is very pretty as well. Alison

felix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why do you think the father will fight the male fry? With platys I think it is better to have 2-3 females per male so they don't stress out the females with constant mating. How big is your tank ? The sunset platy is very pretty as well. Alison
I moved them with in 30 gallon.

I thought my female blue wag (it's my profile picture) was a male so I bought two red male platies. They fought so I returned the aggressive one back to the fish store.

I think the adult male red platy will fight his sons when they grow up as he will see them as compitition and he will see them as his sons as fish are awfully bad parents.

He is pretty assertive so he is not constantly chasing her but I'm thinking of buying the sunset this week because my blue wag might still feel stress.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Male platy may develop a pecking order but usually will not injure each other. Fish don't recognize other fish as their children. They will eat their own babies if they are small enough to fit in their mouth because to them it is just another food source. Once they get big enough then there is no problem. You can keep an all male school of platy fish if you do not want babies because they will not hurt each other. If you want males and females than you just need more females than males. I am assuming after reading your other post that this is the 30 gal tank? Getting the Sunset would be a good idea so that at least you have 2 females to one male, three females to each male would be better. So if you had 2 males them you might want to have 4 to 6 females. Alison

felix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Male platy may develop a pecking order but usually will not injure each other. Fish don't recognize other fish as their children. They will eat their own babies if they are small enough to fit in their mouth because to them it is just another food source. Once they get big enough then there is no problem. You can keep an all male school of platy fish if you do not want babies because they will not hurt each other. If you want males and females than you just need more females than males. I am assuming after reading your other post that this is the 30 gal tank? Getting the Sunset would be a good idea so that at least you have 2 females to one male, three females to each male would be better. So if you had 2 males them you might want to have 4 to 6 females. Alison
I'm bringing the platy fry to the fishstore anyway becaude I want to make room for other kinds of fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom