Can I keep Malawi Cichlids in a 38 gallon?

Kat11

Years and years ago when I was a teen, I was ignorant, yet I still successfully kept a mixed bag of African cichlids in a 29 gallon for over 5 years with no deaths (until I went to college and entrusted their care with a friend who promptly killed them).

I know 55 is the generally accepted minimum for Lake MalawI species (I loved my mbuna and haps), but I only have space for a 38-gallon, which is new and sitting unfilled currently. Not ideal, I know, but I so badly want to keep them. How can I make a 38g work for Africans?

Crispii

A 38 is a little on a small side for MalawI cichlids. If you want African cichlids in a 38 gallon, consider shell dwellers.

Theosprey247

Well if you did it before...why not?

MacZ

A 38 is a little on a small side for MalawI cichlids. If you want African cichlids in a 38 gallon, consider shell dwellers.

Shelldwellers are from Lake Tanganyika.

If it have to be Malawis, I'd look into the Labidochromis genus. Comparatively peaceful fish, only thing I'd put into a 38.

Crispii

Shelldwellers are from Lake Tanganyika.
I know, but I am giving some suggestions if the OP wanted to keep African cichlids in a 38.

MacZ

Then you could also consider 1 pair of kribs/jewels/steatocranus/african butterfly cichlids.

African doesn't necessarily mean Rift Lakes. Though from experience I know, it's hard to get away from Malawis, once you had them.

A201

You might try a single species Mbuna colony of Pseudotropheus Masoni.
A lot of careful rock stacking, coupled with stocking a group of juveniles together, would make success more likely, and end up with a nice display.

Kat11

Wow great suggestion, thanks!

Thanks so much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Molasses
Replies
Views
RonP
Replies
Views