Can I Keep Honey Gourami With Dwarf Gourami?

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I don't like the Ember Tetras I got for my 29 gal. I'm wanting to get something else and I'd like to know if I can keep Honey Gouramis with my Dwarf Gourami?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Not a good idea to mix them. Dwarf gouramis are more aggressive and would probably pick on the honey in this tank size.

3. OP
    OP
    O

My Dwarf is super docile and thinks he's a Corydoras. Do you still think it would be a bad idea?

Or do you have some suggestions to replace the Ember Tetras? Something similar but brighter and more colorful?

4. BottomDweller

What temperature is the tank at?

5. OP
    OP
    O

76-77. It's a preset heater for 78.

I want Chili Rasboras but can't find them locally and I hate ordering online.

6. BottomDweller

Cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs or chili rasboras?

Edit: Was typing at the same time. Scratch the chili rasboras!

7. OP
    OP
    O

Great minds think alike lol

Cherry barbs? Aren't they aggressive?

8. BottomDweller

No cherry barbs are very peaceful unlike tiger barbs

9. OP
    OP
    O

Huh I had no idea. I'll have to check them out.

10. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you planning on keeping the ember tetras? I love rummy nose tetras. I also just bought some Celebes Rainbowfish for my tank. They're my new favorite schooling fish ... absolutely stunning. :)

11. OP
    OP
    O

Nope. I want to return them. They really aren't what I was expecting. I wanted some bright, colorful small tetras, but they are light orange and just not the look I was going for.
    I need peaceful fish as I have Corydoras, 1 Dwarf Gourami and Amano Shrimp.

12. el337

Both species mentioned are peaceful and have very pretty, interesting colors and fin patterns. They aren't small like embers as rummy noses average about 2 inches and celebes rainbows can get to 3 inches.

What about purple harlequin rasboras or neon tetras?

13. OP
    OP
    O

What part of the tank do Peacock Gudgeons swim in?

I would love Purple Harlequin Rasboras! I want Purple fish so bad!

14. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Peacoks will stay towards the bottom. Maybe green neon tetras? Black neons? I'd say glowlights too, but they're not the brightest fish out there.

15. el337

Then emperor tetras might also be a good option. :)

16. OP
    OP
    O

Well I ended up just taking the Embers back. I was pretty disappointed with them. They were way to light orange and I really wanted something that "popped".
    I didn't find anything to replace with yet.
    I like the look of Cherry Barbs, but I have my doubts about them getting along with everyone and all the other Tetras they had were in bad condition.

I'm open to other suggestions. I'd really like some small schooling fish, but I'm open to pretty much anything that is brightly colored, swims mostly in the mid to top area and is peaceful.

17. OP
    OP
    O

I really wish I could get a couple Honey Gourami's, but I don't want any fights and I really like my Dwarf I have now and don't wanna take him back.