Can I keep guppy in breeder box for a few weeks?

ShrimpDaddy28

I cannot seem to find ANYTHING on the internet that answers my problem, so I have come to this forum hoping to have an insightful discussion with you lovely people on what I’m about to say. To start, I have a 2 year 10 gallon tank with a population of (10-20) cherry shrimp, 1 adult guppy, and 2-3 month old mystery snail. I’m trying to have a bigger population of shrimp but my guppy is part of a problem from me achieving that.

Can I keep my guppy in a standard breeder box in the same tank for multiple days maybe weeks?? Just until my baby shrimp are big enough to where he cant eat them.
I have no clue if being kept in a small space for a guppy is excruciating TORTURE or not :/.

A little bit on guppy background: never seen my guppy constantly harass or cup check my shrimp, but I have seen my guppy on multiple occasions literally inhale a shrimplet to his stomach. I was shocked, but figured it just made sense cause ya know mother nature…

Thank you if you took the time to read my 1st world problem and would greatly appreciate it if I could get some different perspectives (good or not so good). I’m DEALING WITH LIFE HERE GIVE ME SOME KNOWLEDGE PLEASE.

Blacksheep1

No, don’t put it in a breeder box for that amount of time. You could re home the little fella but if you want him to stay , add plants, cholla wood, lots of moss so the shrimplets can hide more. Make caves if possible , even tiny ones with little pebbles stacked up will help. Just provide as much hiding space as possible, with the added bonus of more biofilm space for them to graze on.

V1K

I wouldn't do it, breeding boxes are so small. If you want to breed shrimp, give the guppy away. If you don't want to give it away, just accept the fact that it will snack on the shrimplets. If you feel like your shrimp population cannot keep up with the predation and is decreasing - try providing better hiding spaces. Good options are large amounts of moss, and piles of pebbles of the size that allows the shrimp to get in, but are too small for the fish.

ShrimpDaddy28

Tysm! You’ve helped prevent a stressed guppy and sparked an idea. I have a wall of java moss and some wood that I could arrange to make a shrimp sanctuary cave where they can worship me. Any ideas to help create a sturdy canopy/cave of java moss?

JTW

I think a breeder box would be fine for a couple of days. But not weeks. And I don't think a couple of days would be enough time to make a difference in your shrimp population.

You could also put in a tank divider. That would keep your guppy to one half of the tank. 5g of space is plenty. He would still eat any shrimp that ventured to his side. But it could help.

Blacksheep1

You could cover some larger stones with moss ( easy with some string ) and use them at the front base layer of a rock pile , then use smaller ones on top which you can either cover with moss or space bare . Lay Indian almond leaves on top of the pile for extra cover !

ShrimpDaddy28

No, don’t put it in a breeder box for that amount of time. You could re home the little fella but if you want him to stay , add plants, cholla wood, lots of moss so the shrimplets can hide more. Make caves if possible , even tiny ones with little pebbles stacked up will help. Just provide as much hiding space as possible, with the added bonus of more biofilm space for them to graze on.
Update on my shrimp sanctuary. I rearranged the wood I had in the tank and used moss to fill in guppy sized gaps. There are a few holes where the guppy can definitely get in if he tried, but I doubt it'll be easy for him hopefully meaning less baby shrimp would be hunted.

Any recommendations for improvement?

1644406641963.jpeg

emeraldking

I'd keep them together in one tank without the breeder box. Just be sure this shrimps do have sufficient hiding spots. Especially those tiny shrimplets.

Blacksheep1

That looks like enough hiding spaces. If they do find the odd one then it shouldn’t harm your population too much :) happy shrimping !

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • vicka7
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
AriesWonders
10 Gallon Tank Do i need a breeder box?
  • ojdgtjc
  • Guppy
Replies
Views