Can I keep guppies, mollies and platies in same tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Anji13, Jul 30, 2015.

1. A

Anji13 Valued Member Member

I have 2 guppies. I want to buy some more fish for my fish tank. Can guppies live with platies and mollies? What other fish can I buy to keep with my guppies?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They can live together depending on the tank size & the sexes as guppies can interbreed with Mollies so if you keep those together it's a good idea to just have males to prevent possible interbreeding.

Edit; Forgot to say Welcome to Fishlore :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome!

Can I ask what size your tank is? Is it cycled? Normally you should be able to keep the above together provided you have a large enough tank.

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

TMK, yeah, just make sure to get the same gender of guppy and molly, as those two can interbreed. Also, these fish are all high waste producers so make sure to have a fairly decent sized tank.

Lots of fish can go with guppies, as long as the tank requirements are the same. I kept mine with cories and glofish danios, just make sure to get proper schools if you get schooling tankmates. :)

5. OP
    OP
    A

Thank you all. I have 5 gallon fish tank. and its cycled. I wanted to keep goldfish but now I am not sure about it

6. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

A five gallon tank is way too small for any type of goldfish.
    :)

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

In a 5 gallon I wouldn't add any more fish it's a bit small for your guppies too, if you can I'd suggest you upgrade to at least a 10 gallon.
    You still couldn't have goldfish or Mollies but a platy with a few guppies would be ok in a 10.

8. BornThisWayBettas

Agree with Coradee, mollies, platies, guppies, or goldfish won't work in a 5 gallon, sorry. For a five gallon, your options are very limited. You could do a betta and some shrimp or snails if you wanted. :)

9. OP
    OP
    A

Ohh.. Can I keep betta in my guppy community?

10. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Better not to. I've heard sometimes it works, but mostly I've heard it's a big risk.

11. BornThisWayBettas

Some people (like me) have had success with it, but I wouldn't recommend it necessarily. There are better tankmate options for bettas. :)

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with Coradee and BTWB.

13. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Definitely no if you're a beginner. Bettas are a huge wild card. They can seem fine at first with their tankmates and then you come home to a massacre and the betta swimming proudly about :(

14. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I'd think all you could fit was one more fish, take care not to put too many. My 5gallon always has 3 1-1.5 in fish, so I think you should just add one more guppy.

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What type of fish do you have in your 5? Depending on the species they may or may not work.

16. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

guppies, but once those die out/if I transfer them elsewhere I think I'm gonna go with a betta because I'm learning that very few fish are happy in a 5gal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice