Can i keep gold fish in my 20 gallon tank ?

manjil
Hey guys I am here again!!

With ur advice I set up tank recycled it and got some of my fish back frm my fren that i've given earlier during recycling. (some get killed in the process (sad)). Now i've got 1 female guppy 6 baby guppy wihch born immidiately after I brought home the mother, 1 angelfish and one chinese algee eater.

Now I want to add gold fish to the tank I really like gold fishes now pls help me.
Will it b okay to keep gold fish in my tank if then upto how many can I put in my 20 gallon tank.

If my tank will b overcrowded then I am ready to give guppy babies to my friend or lfs.

Earlier I killed my gfishs by keeping them in uncycled tank because of my stupid lfs.

Thanks in advance

Neville
hey Manjil, it's Neville............goldfish r coldwater fish actually, they r not tropical fish so it would be better if u don't keep goldies with angels, moreover goldfish have diseases that may affect your angel; so if u want a goldfish tank then u have to keep only goldfish; may be 3 or 4 fancy goldfish in a 20g. chinese algae eaters r aggressive too. the angels may eat your guppy fry if u don't separate them. even fenale guppies will eat their own fry.............

Butterfly
Good advice Neville
Carol

manjil
Thanks neville for ur advice.

Now I will try to set up a new goldfish aquarium. You know, it is very difficult to buy new tank n equipment being a student.
So I may convert this tank into goldfish tank.

Neville
u know I had 2 more tanks, one huge 75 gallon (with beautiful angels and platies) and one 10g; but I had to sell those tanks because I couldn't maintain those tanks properly; i'm studying MBA and maintaining a job at the same time, I know how difficult it is!!!!

Goldfish r heavy waste producers, feed them dime sized food twice a day, feed them dried worm and bloodworms occassionally, give them more vegetables than protein, feed them pellets most of the time, u will need a good filtration. change 25% water every week.
Goodluck!

manjil
Thanks neville,

I talked to my friend and he is ready to take my angel with him.

Now I will be keeping only goldies. While keepin goldfish I don't need heater do I ?? As the temperature here in kathmandu is below can go below to -2 sometimes at night. So what temperature should I set.

And at summer time the temperature can go upto 35 so will i've a problem with the temperature in summer ??

Neville
suitable temperature for goldfish is 5-28 degree Centigrade(40-82 degree F); we don't need heater during summer in Bangladesh, but from November to February we use heaters. though they r coldwater fish they can't survive sudden temperature change.

so what kind of goldfish r u going to buy? don't mix common and fancy goldfish, common goldfish r fast eaters, they will eat up all food before fancy ones could reach it. fancy goldfish include oranda, blackmoore, pearlscale, fantail, lionhead etc. I have 2 orandas; they r cool! commons include carps, comets and commons. fancy goldfish r slow moving and sensitive; but they r very pretty.

Neville
You can learn more about goldfish in the Goldfish section, it's in the Cyprinid division of this site! and join the Asian aquarium club, it's above the hot topic section

manjil
Ok, today I brought 2 oranda and 2 black bubble eye gold fish.

I acclaimed them to my tank n now they r swimmin happily. Let's hope they will do well.

Barbrella
Orandas grow huge. You can only keep possibly 2 fancy goldfish (and even that is pushing it) in a 20 gal tank, with lots of filtration and water changes.

I would return the other two to the store.

manjil
Is that so??

I have a filter n aeration running 24*7.

And I am ready to water change.
As they grow larger I try to manage new tank for them.

COBettaCouple
if you just bought them and can return them, I would suggest that. as they grow larger, and they can grow fast, the waste that's output will put them all at more risk of dying from toxins in the water.

manjil
Ok I will return them now.

dvd_wightman
The general rule for fancy goldfish is a 20 gallon tank 1 fancy goldfish, and then an additional 10 gallons for every goldfish you add.

armadillo
It's great that you're returning them, Manjil. My dad's having exactly the same problem: the shop sold him 5 goldies for his 12G! This is such a far cry from the 20G + 4x 10G (60G) they would really have needed. So he's getting a larger tank, and returning 2 of them.

Neville
Ok I will return them now.
just keep orandas for the moment, the more fish u add the more u have to perform water changes and other maintenance work. like me;D;D

manjil
For now i've returned the bubble eye gf.

Now I have only 2 orandas.

AggieYen
Laure-Anne, glad that you finally talked your dad into being smarter with the goldfish! I found a new home for both my goldfish too, a massive pond setup, and i'm getting ready for a new girl betta

Butterfly
The Bubble eyes are extremely delicate. their eye sac can be damaged very easily on sharp objects and other fish. They also don't compete for food well since they can't look for it.
Here is some information on that particular goldfish.

four goldfish are definitely too many for a 20 g tank
Carol

Neville
The Bubble eyes are extremely delicate. their eye sac can be damaged very easily on sharp objects and other fish. They also don't compete for food well since they can't look for it.
Here is some information on that particular goldfish.

four goldfish are definitely too many for a 20 g tank
Carol

You're absolutely right Carol; they r very very delicate........... Bubble eyes and blackmoores r similar right? i'm not sure but blackmoores r my sister's favorite and she tried to keep 2 blackmoores in a 20 gallon but they died; then she bought 2 more but those 2 died as well, she tried her best to keep them alive but don't know why they die so easily!!!!!!!!!

COBettaCouple
I think that it seems to be the biggest killer of the goldies is their own waste.. the produce so much waste and have their best chance with 30 gallon for the 1st one and 10 gallon for each additional one.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jennalovesanimals
Replies
Views
Evergreen2
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views