Can I keep eclipse catfish ,cory cats and a pleco together

1. fishkeeper21

fishkeeper21 Valued Member Member

2. Xander

Xander Well Known Member Member

The catfish and the pleco might do fine, assuming you have a very large tank for them... The cories would probably fit into a fullgrown eclipse's mouth (they can grow about 18 inches) and that would make me very wary of having the two together.

What size tank were you considering for them all?

3. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

4. Xander

Xander Well Known Member Member

A good size. Yeah, I do think you should stay away from the cories in this situation. They (the catfish) will almost certainly eat any tankmate they can fit in their mouths. The pleco would not have a problem with the catfish. They might compete for food, but there are solutions for that.

I'd advise to offer lots of good hiding places (bogwood) for them to stake out as territory.

5. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

The catfish I'm getting is under 2 inches

6. Big Red

Big Red Well Known Member Member

The eclipse will eat anything that fits in their mouth so no. Even if theyre large corys they are gunna get eaten.

7. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

But I don't have a choice my parents won't let me get a new tank

8. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Do you have the eclipse catfish already?

9. Mallorysmith44

Mallorysmith44 Valued Member Member

I have a eclipse catfish in my 55 gallon with mollies, glofish, ruby noses, sword tails, and some other small fish. All I do is keep plenty of ghost shrimp for him to eat and he's been in there for years. You just have to watch for when he grows cause he can eat his tank mates. You just have to pay very close attention and if your not willing to pay very close attention to it then I would risk your fish

10. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

No I don't have the eclipse catfish

11. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Have you considered other catfish like Rafaƫl or banjos? They're not as big and in my experience do okay with cory-cats and most other community-type fish of a certain size.

12. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

No I only want the eclipse

13. ToddHendrix

ToddHendrix Valued Member Member

Yea the thing is with that guy is they will just eat EVERYTHING. I saw a video of one eating 13 goldfish in 5 minutes. He was full grown but still thats insane! They do look cool but there are more options out there to help fit with the cories. Do you have the cories already?

14. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

Yes

15. ToddHendrix

ToddHendrix Valued Member Member

yea unfortunately the eclipse will have those little guys as a snack. If you still want the cories i would do a diffrent...more friendly catfish

16. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

But the eclipse catfish would be only 1.5 inches my Cory is 2 inches or more

17. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

18. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

But for a while I can keep them right

19. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You can. If you need time to rehome one or the other that'll be fine, as you'll have a while before the cat can eat the corydoras.

20. OP
    OP
    fishkeeper21

Thanks