Can i keep bettas ouside in the summer? (MN)

NearMeBettas

I am in Northern Minnesota (USA), I am wondering if I can keep my bettas in a kitty pool pond without a heater in the summer, like right now. If so, should I put it in the sun or shade and how to keep predators out

BigManAquatics

I would put in the shade myself. Would have to make some sort of screening to cover the pool from predatirs most likely

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

I would encourage you to not. The days aren't the issue as much as the dramatic swings in temperature overnight, especially in a shallow pool. Getting a heater for it would help, but you will still have to keep an eye on it so you don't cook the fish during the day. If you can keep the water stable between 75-85 during the whole 24 hour period, you'd be ok.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I would encourage you to not. The days aren't the issue as much as the dramatic swings in temperature overnight, especially in a shallow pool. Getting a heater for it would help, but you will still have to keep an eye on it so you don't cook the fish during the day. If you can keep the water stable between 75-85 during the whole 24 hour period, you'd be ok.
Sound like a lot of work. I'd rather best not do it then. :)

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Sound like a lot of work. I'd rather best not do it then. :)
Yeah, outdoor environments tend to have different and more challenges than indoor tanks. Mother nature is a real pain.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Yeah, i wouldn't do it myself, either. Feels like a time-intensive project that seems to have little reward.

Upvote 0

Jayce0

Not to mention mosquitos putting 19 million larvae in there, which would suck not only for you but the larvae could be carrying parasites that your fish sure wouldn't want..

Upvote 0

MasterPython

Not to mention mosquitos putting 19 million larvae in there, which would suck not only for you but the larvae could be carrying parasites that your fish sure wouldn't want..

One betta might not be able to handle a pool worth of mosquitoes but a few guppies or minnows would make short work of anything that lays eggs or falls in. And you would have a lot of extra fish at the end. I don't know if your weather is suitable for summer tubbing but most people use deeper tubs rather than pools.

Upvote 0

Jayce0

One betta might not be able to handle a pool worth of mosquitoes but a few guppies or minnows would make short work of anything that lays eggs or falls in. And you would have a lot of extra fish at the end. I don't know if your weather is suitable for summer tubbing but most people use deeper tubs rather than pools.
I could imagine it'd be a huge buffet haha, and my weather is definitely not suitable for anything outside.. that'd be a home cooked buffet, but for the cats!

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

Indeed.

I have some Endlers outside in a 20gal deep tub. Though the idea of a shallow pool is intriguing…. Hmmmmm Would be nice to see more of the little buggers. Maybe next summer.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Rabi619
Replies
Views
Taydee