Can I Keep A Tortoise In A Closet?

1. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

I'm serious. I did not go crazy. I am thinking about making my closet(4 1/2 ft L)(2 1/2 ft W) into a tortoise enclosure. I could hang a light dome with uvb, and let the other side be cool. Could that work?

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

How are you gonna sneak that into the house? Lol.

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

While you could, it doesn't sound like much for the tortoise...

4. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

If you’re telling yourself that you’re not crazy, then it means you’re crazy

5. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

The heck is wrong with that??

I am kinda curious. But you’d never seen him unless you replaced the doors. And tnwould be a pain in the rear to clean unless you put linoleum or something in that would be way to clean, then put ground cover on.

6. wolf1021

wolf1021 Valued Member Member

are their any vents in the closet because if their is and your parents think its to hot in the house the Tuttle will be a goner it will freeze

7. scarface

Crazy people? I think the whole world is insane. But I wasn’t actually serious (I keep forgetting my iphone emojis don’t work here).

8. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Being sane is *so* overrated. It’s rude ignoring the other voices. :D

9. david1978

No worries he's a good sport. Lol.
    Put a tarp down and just let him loose in your room. Potential blanket steeler.

10. scarface

Oh, I’ve heard voices in my head. I went to a private Christain school, which my parents paid a lot of money to attend. It definitely had some influence on me . . .

11. B

Brett S. Valued Member Member

it would work while he is a baby. Wouldnt recommend long term

12. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok, so this is how it works. My closet has no vents. I will be using an air heater, so the temp will be the same, and not have temp swings. I will place cardboard over the ground, and have a substrate bin for it to burrow in. I will have a basking area with uvb, and heat. I am also referring to a RUSSIAN tortoise, which don't get big. About 6-10 inches. The closet is about 4 3/4, and 3 1/2, I believe. I can go measure it though.

13. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like a fire hazard to me.

14. scarface

Since you have no ventilation, my main concern would be humidity. I think.

15. B

Brett S. Valued Member Member

simple fix, Remove the door and put something to stop it from getting out. Like a baby gate that has very small holes in it

16. david1978

In September 1968 two Russian tortoises flew to the Moon, circled it, and returned safely to Earth on the Russian   mission. Accompanied by mealworms, plants, and other lifeforms, they were the first Earth creatures to travel to the Moon. 

Hmmm they have to the moon. Lol

17. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Okay. Could everyone please research a bit first? Russians like humidity. Not the whole enclosure though. I might leave the door open and get a tiny baby fence. PLEASE RESEARCH THOUGH

18. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

For real? That sounds pretty cool

19. scarface

You learn something new everyday. And here I thought that title went to Curious George.

20. scarface

My bad :eek::oops: