Can I Keep A Solo Red Jewel Cichlid In A Community Tank?

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 25g tank with 4 corydoras, 4 albino tiger barbs, 4 sarpae tetra, 5 guppies, 4 zebra danios, 2 mollies and 2 swordtails. I have set of artificial plants planted on 2 sides of the tank and a cave in it. I was wondering can I add a single red jewel cichlid in the tank. the mollies and the swordtails that I have are not of big types. They are small type mollies. the tiger barbs are also very young and very small. As I don't have any big fish in my tank , I want a fish that can be the center piece of my tank. All other fish in my tank are small in size, none of them are big. I want a big fish as a center peice in my tank. So can I add a red jewel cichlid? I know red jewel cichlids can be aggressive and territorrial when kept in pairs and also it would need bigger tank. So I was thinking of adding a single red jewel cichlid.

Will it go well with all the other fishes that I have? will it bother the guppies?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your aquarium is all ready fully stocked. You also aren't doing your best with the schooling species in your aquarium. The corydoras, tiger barbs, tetras, and danios need at least 6 per school. You are causing them stress keeping them in these small groups. A red jewel cichlid is way to big since your aquarium is already fully and over stocked.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can I keep a single red jewel cichlid in a 25g tank with 6 guppies, 6 zebra danios and 6 sarpae tetras?

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok thanks. I know that they can be aggressive during breeding time when kept in pairs. Also they need bigger tank to be kept in pairs.
But I thought maybe a single jewel cichlid can go along in the community tank, that's why I asked ur thoughts. Anyway can u guys suggest me any other fish? Also I had 4 tiger barbs I forgot to mention that but the barbs are really small and young. And neither of my fish are too big. The guppies, danios all are very small fishes. Barbs too are small for now. sarpae tetras are relatively bigger but they are not much big either.I want to add a single fish in my tank that can be the center piece and main attraction of the tank. I expect the fish to get along well with others. I just want to add a single slightly bigger fish, not a pair that can be the center piece of my tank. Can you two guys suggest me any such fish?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even singles aren't recommended for most community tanks. If you wanted to keep a jewel, I'd stock around with, with some larger, robust dithers and a hardy, robust catfish.

I think you're overstocked with so many species. I'd rehome the tiger barbs - in such small groups, they'll be nippy and terrible bullies as they grow. You don't have room for a full school though, since you already have danios and serpaes (and guppies), so I'd take them out.

What are the dimensions of the tank? The guppies are kinda your centerpiece fish already, but reducing their numbers would give you more room for a bigger centerpiece too.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even singles aren't recommended for most community tanks. If you wanted to keep a jewel, I'd stock around with, with some larger, robust dithers and a hardy, robust catfish.

I think you're overstocked with so many species. I'd rehome the tiger barbs - in such small groups, they'll be nippy and terrible bullies as they grow. You don't have room for a full school though, since you already have danios and serpaes (and guppies), so I'd take them out.

What are the dimensions of the tank? The guppies are kinda your centerpiece fish already, but reducing their numbers would give you more room for a bigger centerpiece too.
Texas (pew pew)Domer is right, you're over stocked.

Those tigers are cute and funny now but they are gonna have TONS of fun "playing" with your guppies soon. The guppies wont think it is much fun however.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom