Can I Keep A Kribensis And Dwarf Gourami In The Same Tank?

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Sorry for so many questions lately, but I was just doing some research and I found a site that says you can keep a Kribensis with a Dwarf Gourami. Is this true?
    If not how many Kribensis could I keep in a 29 Gal. Tank? Do they do better in a group or alone?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, you can keep them together.

What other fish do you have in the 29g? In this size tank, I wouldn't keep more than a pair (m/f).

3. OP
    OP
    O

I have 11 Corydoras, some are still still super small, others are full grown and 1 small female Bumblebee Platy and I already have one male Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami.

I guess I should add that I have 5 False Julii and 6 Sterbai.

4. el337

I'd only keep 1 krib then. If the m/f pair starts to breed, they might start getting aggressive towards the corys (corys don't really understand territories/boundaries. :p)

As a side, I would also stick to one cory species and up their shoal in this tank size. They would do far better. :)

5. OP
    OP
    O

Sorry one more question.
    I am thinking about putting the False Julii's in my 20 gal and getting a couple more. If I do that how many Kribensis could I keep in the 29?

6. el337

I would still just get two max (m/f) but again since you still have the sterbais in this tank, I would be cautious for the reasons mentioned. If you had a larger tank (55g or more), you might be able to fit more than a pair of kribs since they are very territorial but in this tank size, you don't have a lot of room for them to form territories and to get away from each other if they need to.

7. OP
    OP
    O

Guess I have a hard decision to make. I really don't want another tank, but I really really wanna keep all of my Corydoras. I also have a female Sterbai breeding with a male False Julii and I don't want any offspring from them.

How bad would it be to keep the False Julii's in a 10 Gal or the Sterbai in a 10 gal?

8. OP
    OP
    O

Ok, Thanks. I think I'll stick with just one Kribensis in that case. I want this to be a super peaceful tank.

9. el337

I think that's a good idea. IME, kribs are not the most peaceful dwarf cichlid.

Edit: As for your question on corys and tank size, a 10g would really be too small for them. I wouldn't keep them in a tank less than 24" long.

10. OP
    OP
    O

That's what I figured. Guess I'll have to make some tough decisions. I honestly think they would be ok together in the 29, but I would like to breed them or at least give them the chance to breed if they want to, but I don't want the species to interbreed.

11. el337

They're also not temp compatible. False juliis like it around 74-75 and sterbais prefer it a little warmer. Not much temp overlap.

12. OP
    OP
    O

I'm taking back one of my Dwarf Gourami's in a min. Can I get a couple Thick Lipped Gourami's if I take back both of the Dwarf Gourami's?

13. OP
    OP
    O

Never mind. I kept one of the Dwarf Gourami's as he is just gorgeous and I think I'll just him for now.

I also returned my False Julii Corys and got more Sterbai. Now up to 13 Sterbai (lost one already) but will rehome a few if they all make it so I only have 10. Some are super small, so we'll see how they do.

14. el337

It's best not to have more than one gourami species esp in this tank size. I also think it was the right thing to do to take one DG back if they were both male since they can get pretty aggressive with each other.

I think if all your sterbais make it, you'd be fine keeping them all.

15. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks. I could definitely see what you all were talking about. They weren't flat out fighting, but they weren't enjoying each others company.

I think for now at least I'm gonna just have the 1 Dwarf Gourami and my 1 Platy and the Sterbai's so I can focus on them and making sure they do well. I think the tank looks really nice and it'll look even better one everyone settles in.