Can I keep a female dwarf cichlid and female betta together?

Tianhong

Hi,
I had a dwarf cichlid couple for several months but unfortunately, the male died due to bloat (he was crazy about food..). I failed to save him.

I am wondering if I can keep a dwarf cichlid female with a betta, my female is not colorful. Can I add a female betta? or even male betta is possible?

Thanks!
TW.

julifhy

I wouldn’t. The betta would probably get stressed out by the cichlid. You could probably go with some other fish though. How big is the tank? Do you have any other fish besides the cichlid?

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

Welcome to the forum.
You could try it, but I'll tell you now, it probably won't work. They will both be pretty stressed out.
Like julifhy mentioned, you could try other fish with her.

Upvote 0

Tianhong

I wouldn’t. The betta would probably get stressed out by the cichlid. You could probably go with some other fish though. How big is the tank? Do you have any other fish besides the cichlid?

I have a 10g tank, now there is a female cichlid and 4 hillstream loaches+gobies(They are all bottom dwellers..) I am looking for a new fish for the middle and top-level. Maybe I should just keep my female cichlid.

BTW, my loaches and gobies are all less than 2inches..

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

I have a 10g tank, now there is a female cichlid and 4 hillstream loaches+gobies(They are all bottom dwellers..) I am looking for a new fish for the middle and top-level. Maybe I should just keep my female cichlid.
What type of gobies? I would rehome the loaches. Hillstream loaches prefer much cooler water than dwarf cichlids.
What type of dwarf cichlids is she? That would really help us figure out what would work in your tank.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

What type of gobies? I would rehome the loaches. Hillstream loaches prefer much cooler water than dwarf cichlids.
What type of dwarf cichlids is she? That would really help us figure out what would work in your tank.

And cooler faster flowing water than a betta as well.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

I’m not sure about dwarf cichlids in particular, but I’ve heard that cichlids can be nippy and try to bite the bettas fins. Also all the fish involved will be stressed out. And as someone else has said, the loaches prefer much cooler water than the other fish in your tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question