29 Gallon Tank Can I keep a convict in my tank

Meeki

I will have a heater, a 29 gallon tank and a HOB filter that has the max capacity of 50 gallons (idk what that means yet, I don't have the tank yet, idk if 50 gallons is how much it's able to filter in an hour, but that's probably what that means). Can I keep a convict in there? I would decorate accordingly and glue (with aquarium glue) hardy plants to decoration.

So, can I put a single male convict in there?

GlennO

You could, though even hardy plants are unlikely to fare well.

A201

Many years ago, I kept a mated pair of Convicts in a 29 gal. & they did fine. Maybe too fine, plenty of offspring. Lol.
Kept long enough, the male Convict grows pretty big, "palm sized".The 29 gal. will start to be a tight fit.

Meeki

Many years ago, I kept a mated pair of Convicts in a 29 gal. & they did fine. Maybe too fine, plenty of offspring. Lol.
Kept long enough, the male Convict grows pretty big, "palm sized".The 29 gal. will start to be a tight fit.
So I can't keep a single male convict cichlid in a 29? Also, is my filter good enough?

Convictlover

My solo convict is in a 70L tank atm. Although it’s only a baby still (5cm).

Azedenkae

I will have a heater, a 29 gallon tank and a HOB filter that has the max capacity of 50 gallons (idk what that means yet, I don't have the tank yet, idk if 50 gallons is how much it's able to filter in an hour, but that's probably what that means). Can I keep a convict in there? I would decorate accordingly and glue (with aquarium glue) hardy plants to decoration.

So, can I put a single male convict in there?
Yes a convict can go in a 29 gallon tank. Hardy plants may still be torn up, but it kinda depends on the specific individual.

Convictlover

Yes a convict can go in a 29 gallon tank. Hardy plants may still be torn up, but it kinda depends on the specific individual.
Yep. I have heaps of plants in my tank and my convict doesn’t touch them at all which is the opposite of what I thought would happen. Lol

Azedenkae

Yep. I have heaps of plants in my tank and my convict doesn’t touch them at all which is the opposite of what I thought would happen. Lol
Mhm. Me neither. I keep on hearing about it, but mine never cared much about the plants. And I've kept quite a few convicts over the years lol. XD

GlennO

I guess it depends on the individual fish. They are an intelligent fish and a single individual is not going to just swim around aimlessly. It will find things to occupy itself, whether that's digging in the gravel, pulling bits off plants etc.

otterblue

I would say yes. I recommend getting a pair since it is very interesting to watch how they raise their fry. I had 2 in a 20 gallon and then moved them to a 55 gallon when they got larger (they were much happier in the 55 gallon). They breed A LOT.

If it's only convicts you can make sure the water temp. is on point and also provide hiding places. Mine never bothered the plants.

Convictlover

I guess it depends on the individual fish. They are an intelligent fish and a single individual is not going to just swim around aimlessly. It will find things to occupy itself, whether that's digging in the gravel, pulling bits off plants etc.
Or attacking the net everytime you try to clean out the extra waste from the tank. Haha

Azedenkae

Or attacking the net everytime you try to clean out the extra waste from the tank. Haha
Convicts really are the best. XD

Convictlover

Convicts really are the best. XD
Yep. Mine has really come out his shell now. He will have a go at anything I put in the tank including my hand. Haha.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
Meeki
Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views