Can I keep 5 Neon Tetras with 5 Cory Catfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by JakesAquarium, Jul 31, 2015.

1. J

JakesAquarium New Member Member

Can I Keep 5 Neon Tetras with 5 Cory Catfish?

I have had my tank for around a week and had my Neon Tetras in for two days, they seem really happy, they are also eating fine and exploring the tank, I wanted to know as my tank is only 15 gallon. Should I wait a bit longer or can I get my Corys now?

Ammonia= 0
    Nitrite= Safe
    Nitrate= Safe

All help appreciated... :p

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there and welcome to Fish Lore!!! Good to have you here! :)

What test kit are you using?
    Is your tank fully cycled?

Generally, neons do best in a more established tank, one that has been fully cycled for a longer period of time. Also, I believe I've heard that it's best to add the neons last. Neons do better in schools of six or more, by the way.

Anyways, can you answer my above questions before we move ahead? :)

3. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the reply, I know about the neons being last but as I should of done I did not do my research, i have ordered plenty of books and i will use this site and the internet to help and hopefully wont make that mistake again, and yes fully cycled, i am not sure yet as I do not have it with me and i forgot, sorry i could not answer that. :(

4. BornThisWayBettas

Well, if you're using test strips, those are inaccurate. If you don't already have one, get yourself a liquid test kit like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, it's actually cheaper than the strips in the long run.

Can you define "safe" on your nitrite and nitrate levels? Like the exact numbers?

5. OP
    OP
    J

I know this does not sound good, but my dad does that stuff, he just told me that everything is good, and safe. He is a work so I cant ask him. Sorry.. :( i am really no help I do know that it is a liquid test though!

6. BornThisWayBettas

Okay, I understand. :) I think the best thing to do, before you buy any more fish, is to find out your exact numbers, and have your dad teach you how to test the water yourself.

Generally, I recommend waiting at the very least one week after adding fish to get more, better be safe than sorry. Two weeks would be better though, imo.

Let's see what the others say now. :)

7. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

Hi there! And welcome!!

I would do exactly as BornThisWayBettas recommended: ask your dad to teach you how to read the levels yourself and definitely make sure that the water is safe before putting more fish in your tank. A "safe" level of Nitrites is 0 and you should have some Nitrates.

Keep an eye on the fish, as most likely your filter is not cycled and you could have dangerous levels of ammonia. Let us know what your dad says when he comes back home:)

8. OP
    OP
    J

Cheers! Would i be able to keep corys with gravel? as it is pretty hard gravel and im sure they like sand? Would they hurt them selves on gravel? if so i can always change... :)

9. BornThisWayBettas

Sand is definitely best, but I do keep mine on gravel. I think I've heard cases of them hurting themselves on the gravel, though.

10. OP
    OP
    J

Ok, thanks and the fish do look really well, but yeah ill sure ask my dad!

11. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

You could keep them in gravel, but they might indeed damage their barbels (it happened to me....). The best would be to have sand (pool filter sand, for example) but if you can't, try to find very round gravel.

Anyway, 15g is really not enough to keep a suitable number of Corys, they can grow up to 2''. You need at least 20g.

12. OP
    OP
    J

okay, im going into my local pet store and i will see what they have to say, hopefully everyhting will be alright but i will leave getting the fish until a later date!

13. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks, i am looking to upgrade Reyes, so just hope all goes well

14. BornThisWayBettas

One word of caution about your fish store, sometimes, they can give misleading information/advice, so before you make any large changes to your tank (such as adding fish) per their advice, it's always best to research for yourself. :)

Good luck! :D

15. OP
    OP
    J

Yes i understand, I am currently doing loads of research, i have ordered many books and i am looking all over the internet, Thanks for you help, as you have helped alot :)

16. BornThisWayBettas

Aw, you're welcome! :;hug2 Hey, stick around if you want, we'd love to keep you here! :D Besides, I wanna know how this tank goes. ;)

17. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks:) I am gonna try really hard to get this tank going and i will keep updated on here!

18. BornThisWayBettas

Awesome, I'll be looking forward to seeing/hearing about the updates! :D Pictures would be much appreciated! ;)

19. OP
    OP
    J

i will upload some soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice