Can i keep 2 calm bettas in a 20 gallon tank

Moonee

Can i keep them? 1 male 1 female, would it work if they r calm?
like cichlids?

StarGirl

How would you know they are calm all the time? I vote No. You just never know with Bettas. They could be fine for months then just get a attitude one day and Bam.

Moonee

Oh, what if i have a extra 5 gallon tank to put 1 into?

Analisemcg

Oh, what if i have a extra 5 gallon tank to put 1 into?
I would just set up the 5 for one of them, it would make me too nervous to risk it.

Moonee

oh ok what abt 3-5 female bettas

Analisemcg

I’ve never kept a sorority but I’ve heard 5 is the best number which should work in a 20 gallon I think (?)

V1K

I had heard of successful attemts of keeping betta pairs in larger tanks. So IMO you could try, but only if the tank is heavily planted to break the lines of sight, and only if you have enough time to observe them all the time for a while and separate them as soon as conflicts arise.

Btf you posted this on rosy barbs topic. You'd get more qualified advice in betta topic.

Axanna

Can i keep them? 1 male 1 female, would it work if they r calm?
like cichlids?
I wouldn’t risk it you can keep a small group of all females together ina bigger tank but I think the femal and male would fight to the death for sure.

devsi

Be VERY careful. I have a sorority of six female Bettas in my 180 Lite tank; but I absolutely would not chance a sorority in anything smaller.

Also be aware that sororities have a high failure rate. Some work, some don't, it's entirely dependant on the individuals.

If you opt to try it, you must have a backup plan that ensures they are separated.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KatHasAFish
Replies
Views
RogueFebreze
  • Randomfishlover
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire