Can I Have Shrimp?

1. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

Wanting to know if I can have shrimp and if so what are the best options? I understand my fish may eat the smaller shrimp but that’s okay because I believe that shrimp reproduce rather quickly

2. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

What kind of fish in the tank? Tank size?

3. H

Hipsterkipster New Member Member

Check out his profile. :)

4. MaximumRide14

I’m on the app lol, it doesn’t tell me.

5. OP
    OP
    Bradley Moles

6. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

You can try with ghost shrimp first where they are pretty cheap, but I would definitely expect most, if not all, shrimp to be eaten. Is this tank heavily planted? If so there's a fair chance some may survive but it would need to be very dense vegetation to support a colony. Once a colony has been established then you should be good to go.

The kuhli loaches and corries are probably the safest fish to keep them with but everything else will likely eat them.

7. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Nope. They'll be very expensive snacks for your BP and acaras.

You should also have a bigger group of kuhlis and cories (at least 6 of each). Zebra loaches like to have friends too (3 or more).

8. OP
    OP
    Bradley Moles

I was planing on at least a couple more kuhli loaches. My tank is about as full as I’d like. I think golden zebra loaches get to be about 4 inches lomg(correct me if I’m wrong) he has grown to a little more than two inches in a hurry and has made friends with the smaller rainbow shark(rainbow shark is getting beat up by the larger one and I haven’t decided what to do about that yet.)

I will have a 25 gallon bowfront in the same house with a dwarf gourami. Could I breed them in there or will he mess with them? He is almost always at the top of the tank.

9. MaximumRide14

If you are talking about ghost shrimp then they are pretty hard to breed because larval stages usually do not survive unless the water has a certain amount of salinity in it. The dwarf gourami would also go after smaller shrimp. Though you should be successful if you stick to the adults.

10. OP
    OP
    Bradley Moles

What shrimp are the easiest to breed that reach a decent size?

11. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

The easiest shrimp to breed are by for cherry shrimp, but rarely do they reach above an inch long. Most of the larger shrimp (amano, whisker, some "ghost") go through a larval stage in which they need salt water to develop properly. The ghost shrimp that are really grass shrimp are the only ones I know of that can reproduce in fresh water.