Question Can I Have More Fish?

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank is 22 gallons (23.5 x 14 x 15 in), well planted and has driftwood. I currently have:
2 Nerite Snails
6 Rabaut’s Corydoras
15 Amano shrimps (I know went overboard here... got stressed by an algae problem that won’t go away. Planning to move 4 amanos to another tank soon)
5 Ghost shrimps (that I never saw again so probably dead)
10 Neon Tetras

I’m planning on adding 5 Harlequin Rasboras OR a Pearl Gourami. AqAdvisor says I will be 90% stocked if I add the fish I’m planning to get and should do 30% water changes. Is this accurate?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your tank seems fully stocked. No need to add more livestock into the tank unless you upgrade.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't keep a pearl gourami in a 22g, I'd say a 30 gallon with 36L by 12W is minimum for them.
The harlequins would be fine, though. I wouldn't use aqadvisor, as it is inaccurate.

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't keep a pearl gourami in a 22g, I'd say a 30 gallon with 36L by 12W is minimum for them.
The harlequins would be fine, though. I wouldn't use aqadvisor, as it is inaccurate.
Thanks for the info about the pearl Gourami! Do you mean I still have space for the harlequins? Minimum number to keep is 5? I tried looking for a harlequin forum here but seems like there’s none yet.

Hmm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Go ahead I have managed to keep 4 Glowlight Tetras and 1 male guppy in a 5 gal tank. They all are still living the guppy is 4 years old and tetras around 3.

Benfreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquadvisor is great for a rough Idea but I wouldn't use it as a rule... You can in my eyes slightly "overstock a tank" with the correct amount of frequent water changes, knowledge of what your dealing with and precautions. Especially if it is well planted as that helps with the water parameters

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you understock it will generally make keeping fish alive for a long time much easier in my experience.

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you add something I think a centerpiece would be a better option, maybe a Honey Gourami?
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll google honey gourami and see if there are pet stores here that sell that. I assume a single Honey Gourami is ok?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, although honey gourami can be kept alone they are a social fish & really do better in pairs or small groups, if you have the room I’d recommend getting a pair or trio of a male & two females

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, although honey gourami can be kept alone they are a social fish & really do better in pairs or small groups, if you have the room I’d recommend getting a pair or trio of a male & two females
With my current stocking, do I have room for a pair?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom